No announcement yet.

Welding in Alberta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad we do not have to put up with all that BS down here.

Comment

I'll second that.

Comment

i will third that.

Comment

Hey Coalsmoke, I'm a welding instructor at NAIT. I can do a little investigating for ya on the distance delivery. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. I might be able to help.
          Always Have Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Darmik
            Red seal questions

1 quality control 11 points

2 Fabrication 32 points

3 cutting processes 19 points

4 Oxy - fuel processes 8 points

5 Arc welding processes 50 points

6 special processes 5 points

you will have 3 hours to complete 9 am to 12 pm

Passing 70%

now if you do the apprenticeship way then when you are writing your 4th year exams you will also be writting you red seal exams as well with your years of I would asume better than 8 experience in the feild already to me you seam like a pretty knowlageable person you should'nt have to many problems with this .
            Now what they do not mention is on the exam there is also real world questions like

say your welding with solid wire .045 short circuit ms vertical up t joint 1/4 plate would you

1 use a weave patteren
            2 use a horse shoe patteren
            3 use a figure 8 patteren
            4 use a straight side to side patteren

when you are brase welding how is the brase drawn into a joint

what kind of corrosion happens when you put two dissimilar metals together.

you need to hold 400 litres of fuel how big is the tank

How many gallons would a tank hold if the dimentions where 4'L x 2'W x 2'H

anyway stuff like this these questions are on the exam

Thanks Darmik. It'll take a bit of work, but looks like a lot of it will just be absorbing and remember knowledge, nothing too serious. 7 years in the field, counting this one. Not much compared to some who have been doing this for half a lifetime, but enough to be getting the hang of which end to hang on to I'll go pick up the C level modular training books and start to get into them. It'll be real nice for a change to be learning about something like welding where you actually don't mind reading the material. Lately these last few upper level crim courses are way too dry for my tastes

Just for the fun of it, let me take an unresearched stab at your questions:

.045 solid vert up, I'd use a triangular weave pattern, so option 1

Brase is drawn into a joint through the properties of surface tension

corrosion: = oxidization?

400L: =400,000ml = 400,000cm3 = so tank dimensions = 40cmX100cmX100cm

Gallons question I admit I have no idea on

Did I get any right I definitely will need to get studying. Is there a Red Seal study guide, or is it just mostly covering material from the C and B modules?

I guess this is why BC welding educations are said to betop notch in the end, because they make you work your ace off for them
            hre

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
              no there aren't any pipe for your journeyman test just 6 inch for your initial b
              So you mean a person could challenge the journeyman without ever doing a a pipe coupon? I guess that's ok though, as you'd have to pass your PWPs before touching any pressure piping, right?

Originally posted by frostbite View Post
              Hey Coalsmoke, I'm a welding instructor at NAIT. I can do a little investigating for ya on the distance delivery. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. I might be able to help.
              Frostbite, welcome Thanks for the help. If you happen to come across what's going on witht eh distance delivery thing, by all means I am curious to know, but don't go out of your way for me. I have decided to challenge my C level here in B.C. and then hurry up and get signed up for my full B level modular course, as I will really want to gain the knowledge of taking the full length courses and not just apprenticing through them. I'm sure that when I start getting into the pressure piping, the added knowledge will prove invaluable for when I get back into the field With my luck though the oil boom will crash right before I get certed

Originally posted by weldingrod View Post
              i will third that.
              Yeah, no kidding. I hear some of you guys down south talk about going and doing these individual certs and tickets and it sounds so straightforward and uncomplicated it almost makes me want to move down there just to get certed.
              hre

Comment

tank welder

Originally posted by frostbite View Post
                Frostbite do you know of a guy buy the name of Bruce Hale? My first rig job
                was a tank job(50,000 stainless steel) It wasnt my rig, I was by hand but Bruce was there also at the time he had a black Ford with a redi-arc in the
                back, he was from the big city of Calmar
                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                PIPEPRO 304
                TO MANY TOOLS
                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                and easily upset
                go flames go

Comment

Coalsmoke

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                  I hear some of you guys down south talk about going and doing these individual certs and tickets and it sounds so straightforward and uncomplicated it almost makes me want to move down there just to get certed.

I agree that it seems like a big hassel to challenge the C level but I'd like to say something in it's defence. The questions posted by Darmik led me to reviewing my son's books and I had really forgotten how much training was involved in the course. Below are the major practical tests to be passed....

-oxy/acet welding....4 position open root mild plate.....1G rolled, 2G, and 3G open root mild pipe.....1G fusion weld on grey cast.....1G braze welding on grey cast....silver braze disimilar metals.
                  -smaw....4 position open root mild plate with 6010 and 7018 fill/cap....1G open root on grey cast.....hard surface overlay on mild.
                  -gmaw CO2.....2G and 3G open root on 10 gauge mild....1G,2G,3G open root on 3/8" mild....1G,2G,3G on mild with backing strip
                  -gmaw 75/25....2F,3F and 1G with backing strip
                  -gmaw 98/2 spray transfer....2F and 1G with backing strip
                  -gmaw triple mix on 3G open root plate
                  -spool gun aluminum fillet and lap joints on flat
                  -fcaw....1G,2G,3G self shielding and gas shielding(CO2) with 1/16 wire and backing strip....
                  -also oxy/acet burning and air arc gouging requirements
                  -also multiple written exams

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes up above.
                  The point I'm trying to make is that 'C level' course is really broad based. To try to come up with one welding test which is fair to all parties... ie. the challenger, past graduates, and employers....is a tough decision. As for comparing with other jurisdictions we still have the CWB tests which are targeted towards individual process and position qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSparks View Post
                    I agree that it seems like a big hassel to challenge the C level but I'd like to say something in it's defence. The questions posted by Darmik led me to reviewing my son's books and I had really forgotten how much training was involved in the course. Below are the major practical tests to be passed....

-oxy/acet welding....4 position open root mild plate.....1G rolled, 2G, and 3G open root mild pipe.....1G fusion weld on grey cast.....1G braze welding on grey cast....silver braze disimilar metals.
                    -smaw....4 position open root mild plate with 6010 and 7018 fill/cap....1G open root on grey cast.....hard surface overlay on mild.
                    -gmaw CO2.....2G and 3G open root on 10 gauge mild....1G,2G,3G open root on 3/8" mild....1G,2G,3G on mild with backing strip
                    -fcaw....1G,2G,3G self shielding and gas shielding(CO2) with 1/16 wire and backing strip....

The point I'm trying to make is that 'C level' course is really broad based. To try to come up with one welding test which is fair to all parties... ie. the challenger, past graduates, and employers....is a tough decision. As for comparing with other jurisdictions we still have the CWB tests which are targeted towards individual process and position qualifications.
                    That is true, the education a welder receives is top notch from the BC modular system, and I would be a lot less critical of it if it was still a true work at your own pace system. The CWB does cover the separate aspects, but it is hard for someone like me, an independent to use the CWB certs unless my business get CWB certification, which is no easy task. Its set up to be great for larger high-overhead shops, but not the independant guy.
                    hre

Comment

• Answers

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                      Thanks Darmik. It'll take a bit of work, but looks like a lot of it will just be absorbing and remember knowledge, nothing too serious. 7 years in the field, counting this one. Not much compared to some who have been doing this for half a lifetime, but enough to be getting the hang of which end to hang on to I'll go pick up the C level modular training books and start to get into them. It'll be real nice for a change to be learning about something like welding where you actually don't mind reading the material. Lately these last few upper level crim courses are way too dry for my tastes

Just for the fun of it, let me take an unresearched stab at your questions:

.045 solid vert up, I'd use a triangular weave pattern, so option 1

Brase is drawn into a joint through the properties of surface tension

corrosion: = oxidization?

400L: =400,000ml = 400,000cm3 = so tank dimensions = 40cmX100cmX100cm

Gallons question I admit I have no idea on

Did I get any right I definitely will need to get studying. Is there a Red Seal study guide, or is it just mostly covering material from the C and B modules?

I guess this is why BC welding educations are said to betop notch in the end, because they make you work your ace off for them

#1 weave patteren

#2 Capillaray attraction

#3 Galvanic corrision

#4 60.96cm x 60.96cm x 91.44cm

#5 119.us gal or 99 Imp gal

Comment

• test

Originally posted by OldSparks View Post

I think this is when you are taking the whole C level program
                        I'm 99% sure that this is NOT the challenge test Because some of the stuff that is listed by old sparks is what you will do in the program O ya I dont think you weld any cast any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by weldingrod View Post
                          i will third that.

Hey welding rod if you guy's are talking about the red seal exams what do you guy's do for an interstate seal or do you even have such a thing

Comment

• do you mean can we weld anywhere in canada with the "interstate" yes our red seal is the cert. that qualifies us to work any were in canada except for quebec because they are their own "nation".
                            trail blazer 302
                            hypertherm plasma
                            millermatic 251
                            high feq. arc starter
                            suit case (extreme 12vs)
                            o/a torches
                            way to many other tools to list

Comment

• Red Seal

do you mean can we weld anywhere in canada with the "interstate" yes our red seal is the cert. that qualifies us to work any were in canada except for quebec because they are their own "nation".

Hey arc with the red seal I can work anywhere in canada including Quebec that was changed 2 years ago I was wondering if the states has something like the Red Seal?

Comment

• oui or no

quebec because they are their own "nation".
                                Those frick'en guys cant weld anyways From an Albertains point of view
                                "The best thing leaving Quebec was a empty Greyhound"
                                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                                PIPEPRO 304
                                TO MANY TOOLS
                                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                                rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                                and easily upset
                                go flames go

Comment

Working...
                                X