Welding in Alberta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding in Alberta

Just got the latest issue of Welding Mag in the mail today and there are a few articals in it about the oil boom in Canada.Most of the artical takes place in and around Fort McMurry.
    Seeing as how some of you are from that part and involved in that biz thought I would pass this along.
    Would like to hear what Pipeline Dan,Lynx and others have to say about it.
    Here`s the link www.weldingmag.com Click on latest issue and follow the stories.

Fort Mac

Many of men have made their money from just working in Fort Mac. Their is alot of work there but its starting to slow right down as we speak. The problem is that they didn't have enough guys to do the work which in return
    they had to bring workers from out east, and now from over seas. Which has droped the rates by lots eg. A couple of years ago the rate for a rig welder
    up there was around 100hr. last year they where paying around 85ish and now, I have talk to a nother welder on here about work and he said there paying 78eek:. I dont know if it will go back up like it did cause they just bought to many guys from places that didnt pay very well so those guys would take anything to get work. To sum it up I'd say if you got into Fort Mac
    at the start you most likely will retire a very rich man. It just went crazy, for
    eg. They pay people $18-$20 to start at fast food places, double wide trailers
    sell for $250gs, and land around Fort Mac is some of the highest in Alberta.
    The oil companies are slowing things down so they can control the prices of
    of sub-contractors. Fort mac is all about money so companies do stuff like fly you in from Edmonton, have state of the art camps like big rooms, ice rinks
    pools, spas etc etc just to get people to come and work. There will always be work in Fort Mac but you have to remember it cost alot to live their, most people are aways from home and the bugs are real bad in the summer, you
    havent lived until a June bug its ya in the face
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Comment

there were 2 or 3 thread covering just this in the past few months. To sum it up, you won't come up and find easy money, right now BC is dried up, everything is slowed to a crawl, not sure what spring will be like. I suspect Alberta is the same way as its a shared economy. Its funny, you look at the american publications and they are saying booming canada, lots of money and work, and then you come here and read our papers and read the headlines that say "when will the slowdown end?" and "where's all the workers?..... They're here looking for work", and the local Province (like the NY times but canadian) has done this past week a week long writeup looking at hot careers, and what's going on up north and why people are out of work.

Is it just me or does this topic come up every 2 weeks?
      hre

Comment

PipeLine Dan, CoalSmoke
        I would like to come up and meet you and see how you fellows operate but as cold as it is there I do not care if they were paying $150 pr hr for rig work I not coming. I spent one winter in northern michian years ago and like to have died. I was a operator on that job and every morning I put on everthing I owned and still got cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Finney View Post
          PipeLine Dan, CoalSmoke
          I would like to come up and meet you and see how you fellows operate but as cold as it is there I do not care if they were paying $150 pr hr for rig work I not coming. I spent one winter in northern michian years ago and like to have died. I was a operator on that job and every morning I put on everthing I owned and still got cold.
          Yes, you really got to pay attention to how you dress, and if you get too sweated up and then are outside and get cold, you can do yourself in. No fooling around when you are up north, but its fun if you like the snow and a bit of a challenge Maybe come up one of these summers? It's be warmer then, usually it doesn't snow in the summer.

EDIT: Finney, you're certainly welcome to stop by if you do make it up this way some time
          hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
            Is it just me or does this topic come up every 2 weeks?
            I relized this is a topic that comes up a lot.Thats why I brought it up again.
            I hear from you guys that things are slowing down,you ought to know your there.Then the trade magazines put out an article about the "big boom" and then people think thats where they need to be and it just makes things bad for you guys up there.eg the influx of folks looking to make a quick dollar.
            Thought I would share with you all what kinds of things we are hearing down here in the lower 48.
            The oil and gas drilling around here is going very well but for how long.

Comment

Well it's good to know what the papers and magazines are printing, its just weird is all. I suspect maybe they are not doing first hand research, but rather just cobbling together an article that will sell copies. Our active rig numbers are still down from where they were last year.
              hre

Comment

Finney
                up here where pipeline dan and i are from it chinooks every other week nmice wave of warm weather for a week or so so reall it's not that bad i've been tryin to get piepline dan on a job with me that's pretty much the gravy trian easy work all inside and 85 an hour and all you can steal. things are good up here not great there is work it's just what kind of sacrafices do you make to work
                your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

let her blow

Yes lynxs we do get our share dont we. I was talking to your Dad about that job, he seems real laid back and knows what he wants, I got my fingers crossed. I most likely will get a bunch of casing bowls for around that TurnerValley area as well but thats not for a while and of course they will want to start that around spring break up. I just cant win anymore

Finney it does get cold here but where myself and lynx live we get chinooks like crazy. Just the other day I drove into Okotoks and about 2 miles out of town my truck temp said -10 just as I hit the hill coming into town it jumped up to +8 in a matter of 2 miles I bet if you came for a visit you would think it was pretty cool place. If Coalsmoke would just get out of that BC area
                  and move here then we could all get together, I'll mke you a deal you guys
                  come and I'll pour the Jack and put on some Alberta Rib-eyes. I gust got my
                  pieces for my Smoker/BBQ so I'd like to whip up some beef for a test run, I got 18"x 4' pipe for the top part and 16" for my fire box so I'll have to start
                  that soon, It never fails when you start something the phone starts to ring
                  so I guess I'd better get on it.

Stickrod I see what your saying about the papers, The only thing is, There
                  about 2 years late on the "Oil Boom" stuff the paper should of read was "OIL BUST". Its not that bad I guess, its just not a 30g a month for us anymore
                  maybe not until next fall is the way I see it, There is jobs but not any 26
                  days in 4 off head down *** up anymore at least for a while. I know what
                  Coalsmoke is saying about it always coming up, you have to remember that
                  while you guys here all this "work" alot of us are just doing what we can to
                  keep our heads above water. I would love to do a thread on here about
                  the slow down in the oilfield/pipeline work but seems like when ever I do
                  some frick'en guy who has nothing to do with Alberta,oilpatch,pipeline comes on here and tries to tell us what we are doing wrong or how to run our
                  companies cause it works where he lives or even better one guy tried to say I spend too much on hotels/food etc etc. I can even remember doing
                  a thread on how cold it gets here and guys where trying to tell us how to
                  live in cold wheather, weld in cold wheather, and that we should live in a pull
                  behind in the middle of -30 -40 winters to save a few bucks. Meanwhile
                  they haven't even seen snow cause they lived down south. I dont know for sure but I think Coalsmoke is sick of this kind of stuff cause guys just are not
                  on the same page as us so where always repeating ourselves.
                  DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                  PIPEPRO 304
                  TO MANY TOOLS
                  JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                  and easily upset
                  go flames go

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                    Many of men have made their money from just working in Fort Mac. Their is alot of work there but its starting to slow right down as we speak. The problem is that they didn't have enough guys to do the work which in return
                    they had to bring workers from out east, and now from over seas. Which has droped the rates by lots eg. A couple of years ago the rate for a rig welder
                    up there was around 100hr. last year they where paying around 85ish and now, I have talk to a nother welder on here about work and he said there paying 78eek:. I dont know if it will go back up like it did cause they just bought to many guys from places that didnt pay very well so those guys would take anything to get work. To sum it up I'd say if you got into Fort Mac
                    at the start you most likely will retire a very rich man. It just went crazy, for
                    eg. They pay people $18-$20 to start at fast food places, double wide trailers
                    sell for $250gs, and land around Fort Mac is some of the highest in Alberta.
                    The oil companies are slowing things down so they can control the prices of
                    of sub-contractors. Fort mac is all about money so companies do stuff like fly you in from Edmonton, have state of the art camps like big rooms, ice rinks
                    pools, spas etc etc just to get people to come and work. There will always be work in Fort Mac but you have to remember it cost alot to live their, most people are aways from home and the bugs are real bad in the summer, you
                    havent lived until a June bug its ya in the face

heres what is going on in fort mac right know, longlake project is wraping up and should be on line late summer to early fall, we are turnover all the systems as we speak, suncor has small jobs going on , maintence and smaller projects ,(union) there is not union there as well but my buddie is there and said that they sould be wrapped up in a month or two.syncrude not to sure but nothing like UE-1, i would assume maintance and odd small jobs,cnrl well that is busy but i couldnt get on i was told we are all maned up ????? but i been told they are building a 1500 man camp for chinese labour!!!!!!!!!
                    so as it stands it isnt as busy as well all have hoped, but for myself i am a subcontractor, if i was union i could easyly find work. but later this year is going to be a busy year. suncor has a plant going up voyager, as well as firebag 2 or 3 what it is , and scottsfored in edmonton, these are all major jobs for manpower
                    sigpic

Comment

Pipeline dan,
                      Yeah I know what you mean about the trade rags being behind.That artical was probablly written Long ago when things where taking off.
                      I enjoy hearing what you guys have to say about what is really going on as you all are in the middle of it.
                      I BY NO MEANS AM TRYING TO SUGGEST HOW YOU SHOULD RUN YOUR BIZ.
                      Sorry if it came off that way.That was not my intent.Thought you would get a kick out of what we are hearing down here.I`ve found that those typs of articals only tell enough info to get someone thinking "hey I`m gonna load up and go make me some big bucks",then as youve said you get a bunch of guys under cutting your prices and things go to h*ll real quick.
                      I`m happy right where I`m at now,don`t feel like "draggin up" just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod View Post
                        Pipeline dan,
                        Yeah I know what you mean about the trade rags being behind.That artical was probablly written Long ago when things where taking off.
                        I enjoy hearing what you guys have to say about what is really going on as you all are in the middle of it.
                        I BY NO MEANS AM TRYING TO SUGGEST HOW YOU SHOULD RUN YOUR BIZ.
                        Sorry if it came off that way.That was not my intent.
                        Thought you would get a kick out of what we are hearing down here.I`ve found that those typs of articals only tell enough info to get someone thinking "hey I`m gonna load up and go make me some big bucks",then as youve said you get a bunch of guys under cutting your prices and things go to h*ll real quick.
                        I`m happy right where I`m at now,don`t feel like "draggin up" just yet.
                        I don't think that comment from Dan was aimed at you
                        hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                          I don't think that comment from Dan was aimed at you
                          I agree guess my head wasn`t reading that right.My bad.

Comment

Coalsmoke, Pipeline Dan, Lynx
                            I heard a rumor today that the UA signed a agreement with the Canadian goverment that the 798 and other locals can work in Canada. I think this is about the gas line coming out of Alsaka thru Canada into the lower 48. I do not know if this is true. If I hear anymore I will let you know.

Comment

pipeline

Originally posted by Finney View Post
                              Coalsmoke, Pipeline Dan, Lynx
                              I heard a rumor today that the UA signed a agreement with the Canadian goverment that the 798 and other locals can work in Canada. I think this is about the gas line coming out of Alsaka thru Canada into the lower 48. I do not know if this is true. If I hear anymore I will let you know.
                              Ya thats cool only thing is, its a boys club here its hard to get into the union
                              hey maybe we'll come down there and work on you side EH!
                              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                              PIPEPRO 304
                              TO MANY TOOLS
                              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                              and easily upset
                              go flames go

Comment

Working...
                              X