No announcement yet.

Welding truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machinery enamel sounds pretty tough. How do you keep the underside from rusting out? Machinery enamel there too? Is that with a gun?
    I plan on using my 2050 to cut some lenghts of 6" pipe this weekend. I guess I have to pierce, then spin the pipe while keeping the torch straight. I have a pipe fitters marking tool to get a nice line around the pipe with soapstone. Can I cut through the soapstone or do I have to go next to it? Any tricks would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comment

Yea it is shot on with a gun. A friend that does body work shot it. The thinnest piece on the bed is 10ga (1/8") so I am not worried about rust. We cut pipe with plasma now more than oxy/act. Use extended tip and lay it down on about a 45* angle pull trigger and start your cut that way and it will not blow back in your face as bad. Always start your cut away from the line you are wanting to cut. When you get it started come back to your line. If you are wanting a bevel cut mark a thin a line as possible, start your cut on the side you do not want and pull it back. Your gun is angled about 30* so hold the handle flat and cut on the side of the line that you want while bearly cutting the line off the piece. When you finish the end of the bevel should be about 1/16 longer than you want on sechudle 40 pipe. Take your grinder and grind about 1/8" off the end for a flat land. This will give you the length you want with a gap.

Comment

The pipe I cut this weekend was .25 wall 6 inch. I used wizard wrap to soap a even line around the pipe. I used your advice and got some good cuts. Piercing was the easiest part. I did wander the torch here and there which makes for a nasty uneven cut. On flat stock, I clamp a board for a straight edge and that works well. I'm making bollards (posts that I'll bolt behind the roll up door of my shop to prevent drive throughs). I'm using 1/2 plate for the base and mig welding the pipe to that. 2050 worked good and I'm getting used to it now. I took another guys recommendation and changed out the 3/8 air line for a 1/2 line. In any event, my cuts were better.
        Thanks

Comment

Finney, I saw a thread called Welding truck #2 and realized I hijacked your thread with my plasma rant. I apologize about that. Still think the truck looks good and I'm waiting to see the finished pics.

Comment

drewworm, not a problem glad I could help

Comment

Working...
            X