Replacing shop welder....what to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing shop welder....what to buy?

Ok, the shop i work in just had one of the welders burn up(after like 40 years or something.....maybe more, maybe less). Anyways, we need to replace it with somethign similar. It is a Linocln Idealarc 600. We currently have a Lincoln LN7 hooked up to it as well as a Miller Spoolmate with box and about 300 feet of stick leads. Anyways, it was used at the Harris steel plant for a long long time before we got it(about 15 years ago) and it has been great but is finally time to replace. Anyways, we are looking at the Dimension series welder but open to others. We clean our shop daily but it is a large construction company so plenty of dust floats through the shop. We will occassionally be doing airarc, lots of stick and lots of outershield e71m through the LN7. Occassionally using the spoolmate as well . What are some of the welders you guys would choose knowing our needs. We are a fabrication/repair shop for a large construction company. Is an inverter based machine reliable enough for this type of environment? hanks. Dave

the Dimension line is what you should be looking at but i am prety sure it's a transformer based machine (i think the XMT's are the inverters). as far as using in a dirty enviornment, it is equiped with fan on demand so it's not pulling air through the welder all the time....just when it needs to.
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
      Ok, the shop i work in just had one of the welders burn up(after like 40 years or something.....maybe more, maybe less). Anyways, we need to replace it with somethign similar. It is a Linocln Idealarc 600. We currently have a Lincoln LN7 hooked up to it as well as a Miller Spoolmate with box and about 300 feet of stick leads. Anyways, it was used at the Harris steel plant for a long long time before we got it(about 15 years ago) and it has been great but is finally time to replace. Anyways, we are looking at the Dimension series welder but open to others. We clean our shop daily but it is a large construction company so plenty of dust floats through the shop. We will occassionally be doing airarc, lots of stick and lots of outershield e71m through the LN7. Occassionally using the spoolmate as well . What are some of the welders you guys would choose knowing our needs. We are a fabrication/repair shop for a large construction company. Is an inverter based machine reliable enough for this type of environment? hanks. Dave
      The new inverters will go 40 or 50 years,,, or is that 4 or 5 yrs,,,,
      I think you already know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
        The new inverters will go 40 or 50 years,,, or is that 4 or 5 yrs,,,,
        I think you already know the answer.
        No I don't, please fill me in. I've heard a copuple "stories" but not too familiar with the inverters. Was there a bad batch, are they too complicated for longevity? Dave

Comment

We have a Miller Shopmaster 300 multiprocess power source. It's sixteen years old now and we've never had a problem with it. If we had to replace it, I would try to get a Dimension 302.
          Scott

Comment

Depending on how much you air-arc,your budget?I would go with at least a Dimension 452.
            BB402D
            TB300D
            DIMENSION652
            MM250X
            MAXSTAR140
            S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
              No I don't, please fill me in. I've heard a copuple "stories" but not too familiar with the inverters. Was there a bad batch, are they too complicated for longevity? Dave
              I wouldnt own one out of warranty, buy new and just before 3yr warranty expires trade for another. My .02$

Comment

Inverters are fine new or used, but make sure that all fixtures to the boards are tight. The board to igbt and capacitor bolts tend to loosen off over time. Overheat, and the components go poof. Ever year when you clean it, remove the covers (power off for 10 minutes) and tighten all bolted components.

Very common!!!

Comment

doing airarc, lots of stick and lots of outershield e71m
                  Sounds like the Dimension 452 or 652. Hard to beat a transformer machine for airarc, and those machines are rated for a 5/16" or 3/8" carbon. Add some air (lots of air) and blast away.

I've heard the 652 is a good machine for spray arc transfer MIG, meaning flat or horizontal position. The 452 is better for short circuit transfer, all positions. You may want to check this point with your local welding rep.
                  Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                  HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                  Clarke Hotshot

Comment

452s - make sure the power switchis turned off when going from mig to stick, or you'll arc out and blow that $$$ selector switch

The stabilizer tends to short to ground on both machines.

And if you happen to blow a main board, you'll want to change out the display board as well, because one tends to take the other out quickly.

Major bucks when this happens.

Comment

I've run the 652 quit a bit, we have on at work along with a 60 series feeder on the top of it and we've had really good luck with them both. I've ad to extend the cutting edge an a 966G and it ran the 1/16 flux core wire all day long beautifully, fan hardly came on. I also used it for hardfacing compactor wheels with 1/16 wire and again no problems.alot of air arcing as well, we've had really good luck with the machine and its not in the ideal shop enviroment either, nice machine definetly gets the job done and thensome
                      Trailblazer 302G
                      MM 210 with spool gun
                      Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                      Smith torches
                      Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                      griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

Were looking at the 652 right now. How does it work for a spoolgun? Do you do much stick with it? We use alot of stick for bucket repairs and outside stuf where we pull a mcahine up to the door. We may want to hook and LN9 up to it as well with some 5/32" wire. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input. Dave

Comment

I own and run a 652 in my shop i have had it for 3 years and it works great on stick,wire,carbon arcing it is a tuff machine and i have run mine hard.
                          BB402D
                          TB300D
                          DIMENSION652
                          MM250X
                          MAXSTAR140
                          S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                          HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by precisionworks View Post
                            The 452 is better for short circuit transfer, all positions.
                            Your joking I hope, These machines have 100% duty cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by admweld View Post
                              I own and run a 652 in my shop i have had it for 3 years and it works great on stick,wire,carbon arcing it is a tuff machine and i have run mine hard.

dagone,now thats a welder.does it handle 3/32 alright

Comment

Working...
                              X