Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeronca41
    replied
    That is one beautiful setup you have there, Tarry. Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    Gonna need a big mill.
    Nahh I put cylinder blocks on my mill all the time Click image for larger version

Name:	154416524_1534370673434476_8879363521287387299_o.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	775.4 KB
ID:	616280

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Cut the top of the bolt flat and use a center drill to get you started straight.

Let me ask, did you try to tig weld a nut to that bolt? I find with tig welding you can dwell a while and let it heat up a lot deeper than if you migged the nut on. Sometimes it takes a try or three for it to work.

Tarry is right though, a Bridgeport or similar is your safest bet if you know someone. You might even try any machine shop and see how much they’ll charge you for the job. Outside of that, once you get it drilled and can get a bolt extractor in there, you’ll probably still need to pour the heat to it. An easy-out is my last choice for bolt extractors though, so try and find a rigid broken bolt removing kit, something like that. Your problem is definitely solvable.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Absolutely the safest approach, but the problem is, it's a flat head. It's a head bolt, but it's broken off in the block. Gonna need a big mill.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Your best bet would be to put that head on a Mill and bore it from there........your not going to have much clamping force on that mag drill over cast iron that has water jackets.........Easily done on the mill, I would find the center of that bolt , center punch it and probably just use a 2 flute end mill that's just under the minor size of the bolt...

Leave a comment:

• Chris401
    started a topic Broken Head Bolt In My Flathead Ford

Broken Head Bolt In My Flathead Ford

EDIT: The variable speed has been bypassed. Just forward/off/reverse.

The broken head bolt in the coolant passage. The welding trick didn't work this time, just broke off around .070" off the top of the bolt. Crooked and below deck I am just looking to bore out the bolt till I get a silhouette of the threads. Picked up a magnetic drill press to keep everything true. What type of self centering boring bit do you recomend for this exercise?
    Thank's
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210705_181814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	616274 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210729_193136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	616275
    Last edited by Chris401; 07-29-2021, 08:41 PM.
Working...
X