X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by racerx View Post
    Which is stronger giving the proper prepping process for each? Or are they equal?
    A strong weld starts at the joint , it's preparation in size , gap / relief and ability for the weld to penetrate........then process and choice of filler...

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    replied
    Thanks fellows ......just was wondering was one stronger that the other.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I can't answer the original question about strength but used properly they are all acceptable. When you say flux core I assume you mean gasless wire or sometimes called innershield wire. Most of the time innershield is used due to the outside environment, ie windy. If you are in an enclosed setting the preference is anything but innershield wire due to appearence of the weld (usually more splatter), and the smoke it produces from the flux burning.

I use almost exclusively innershield wire on outdoor jobs ranging from 1/8" on up. In my shop I use either bare wire up to 1/4" material and anything larger then I switch to an outershield wire, flux core with gas. You also need to watch which wires you choose as some innershield wires are only suitable for single pass and others multiple passes. Become familiar with the specs.

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    replied
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    The variables are such that they are relatively equal. You might use a higher setting (slightly) for GMAW. You will also have no slag inclusions. If you are skilled not to have them in FCAW, then you've the experience to have a preference, and the skills to do a perfectly acceptable job with either.

And that's assuming we are comparing short-arc GMAW to FCAW. Spray-arc GMAW usually gets the win, when the material and machine allow it.

Leave a comment:

• Electric4Life
    replied
    entirely depends on the material and application IMO

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    replied
    This had me thinking years ago i fix a frame with a patch panel using flux core wire (couldn't afford the gas then) and i remember posting some picture on another forum asking a ? for recommendation on modification on some frame work and someone said it looks like flux core welding.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Hmmm....maybe the flux core might have a little better penetration.

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    started a topic Flux core /mig(GMAW)

Flux core /mig(GMAW)

Which is stronger giving the proper prepping process for each? Or are they equal?
Working...
X