oil pan madification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pan madification

This is the sort of race car stuff that shows up here on a fairly regular basis. Brand new oil pan, owner needs it to be 5/16” deeper for the pic up to fit....and it looks like a dog chewed it open.

So....we shall take a deep breath, mutter some nasty words, and make it whole once more.
    Attached Files

Could be worse. Could be covered in oil with a hole that a rod punched in rather then what the dog chewed. I'm wondering why they didn't just shorten the oil pick up tube?

Comment

So did you charge them more for trying to help?

Comment

I don’t know. I honestly don’t know enough about what he has to question it. But you’re right, it’s nice that it’s just galvanizing I have to contend with and not oil as well.

Comment

That green piece of steel came with it, not such a good fit up. So I made a bigger hole and a better patch.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ha! It should cost more, but he’s a good guy and it honestly didn’t really make any more work for me. Had a little trouble with the galvanizing, so I switched to 312 filler and that helped a lot.

Comment

Got it done. Not going to win any awards with it, but I’m pretty sure it won’t leak. To make the box, I worked hard to get a good fit up and used some pulse setting to zip it up, it’s just 16ga sheet metal. 115 amps, 1.5pps, 30% on time and 50% background. Worked pretty good. To weld the box to the pan, I turned the amps up a skosh and pumped the foot pedal. I really didn’t want to punch all the way through so I wouldn’t suck the nasties in from the back side and things went pretty well. But when I got to the front where the old welds were and a butt joint on the front lip, tig just wasn’t happening. I switched to the mig and blasted it in, ground it off, built it back up and smoother it out with the angle grinder. If I had to do it again, I would’ve made the front butt joints lap joints instead, I think it would’ve gone a lot better. Not too concerned with strength since it’s just holding oil in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me. I think the not leaking... buddy should call that out as a bonus? I'd even give you an award for it, those jobs are the hard ones. It's an oil pan so it shows both sides right? It looks like it belongs with it so I think you did good.

Comment

Working...
                X