1976 Quadrajet Factory Settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Quadrajet Factory Settings?

I have a 17056259 from a 76 Oldsmobile wagon. As some of you may remember this has the 1 year mechanical barometer known as an Aneroid Assembly. I rebuilt it a few years ago but never could find the factory setting for the Aneroid. I specifically sought out this carburetor for my high altitude trips. Found out the hard way it was tampered with when I made a trip from the normal 4XX feet to 4XXX feet and back. After swapping heads I bumped up the jets and maxed out the assembly the other way. I would like to find a specification chart or a base measurement for the needle. Any help from an old wrench would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Chris401; 07-31-2019, 04:43 AM.

Brave is the man who opens a carb. I would have guessed it's a fixed position not to be adjusted but that's the response from a guy who doesn't know much. I would suggest a real good soak bath and passage way cleaning, fresh carb kit, checking for worn throttle shaft bushings, and proper settings.

I mentioned I don't know much and I don't. My take on things is you mention you've "done head work, changed jets, and maxed out things the other way". That's cool and all, but it also leads one to wonder if the issue isn't something else? Low vacuum, timing, fuel delivery.

Again, I know nothing. Never seen one of those before, and highly doubt I will again. But I'll dig a bit deeper thru my old carb kit sheets, a few mechanical books, and if something jumps out, I'll reply back.

Comment

I have a couple of friends that are old carb guys, I’ll pose the question to them.

Comment

Friend of mine that knows these things said this, “you shouldn’t have messed that. I’ve never had good luck getting them run right after messing with them.”

But, he says he has a procedure from someone that REALLY knows that stuff and he will scan it and email it to me in a bit.

So as Paul Harvey used to say “......standby for NEWS!”

Comment

I have, in my greased stained fingers, a four page procedure that I hope will help you. It may as well be in Swahili as far as I’m concerned, that’s how little I know about it. So maybe you speak Swahili.

PM me your email address and I’ll forward it to you. I’m about to go weld on some garbage trucks, so it may not be until this evening when I get back to you.

Comment

Where's Mona Lisa Vito when you need her? ...Bob
            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

A few years back when I rebuilt this thing right off I had to bump it up from 67 to 69 primary jets. Going from a 350 Oldsmobile to a 352 Ford it seemed about right. With the few things that had been changed and tampered with I was pretty sure the Aneroid was probably out of spec. All the carb places I use and called no one had a a chart or needle height spec for any altitude. Ran fine like this for about three years till I went up to 4XXX feet. When I got back down to the normal 4XX feet and investigated the problem I found that the Aniroid needle was wedged into the body. Normally you can lift the assembly out with your fingers. This time I had to pry it out with a screw driver.

Mr Ryan Jones sent me some specifics on the power piston height and adjustment. Once I get them printed out I may find what I am looking for. The weird thing is that the piston height on this carburetor does not have the adjustment screw next to the primary hanger or one in the base plate. Maybe this is part of the reason this is a one year carburetor. I cleaned up and kitted a normal 77 Corvette carburetor. It does have the provision for the Aniroid but there is a black plastic cup that fills the void and the jet is not drilled. It only has the four normal rods and the one part throttle enrichment piston/rod. The old one has all this and the Aneroid. I have had a dual AFR gauge on the shelf. Maybe I should actually install it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190713_190409.jpg Views:	5 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	600128
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190405_212901.jpg Views:	5 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	600130
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Chris401; 07-31-2019, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Them contraptions were made 12 miles from where I sit. Today it's nearly an empty 30 acre factory under roof, and little manufacturing happens there. Might have a Rochester Quad from a 350 bowtie on the shelf if you want it.
                Last man I knew of who sweet talked them things ain't said a word in 30 years.

Might know where there are 2 tin cabinets of parts for them too, but they might cost money.

Comment

So what's the deal on the heads? That a before, or an after...? I'm sure Miss Vito could tell us something about a few of those cylinders and how they're firing in the hole. I'd offer a comment but I'm no expert.
                  As far as the carb goes... good luck with that. Not that I looked into it to deeply, but my thoughts are how does it work and function. I think spring pressure and vacume with changing conditions? It was sticky, that bowl looks pretty nasty, if the carb sat, from the picture I'm thinking corrossion. I would clean it, check the diaphram for leaks, if it check out reassemble good to go. I don't think there is an adjustment, but I'm no expert.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...4MV_carburetor

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...the-quadrajet/

https://quadrajetpower.com/quadrajet-information/

Comment

You guys are that? It’ll be “Mr. Ryan Jones” to you turds from now on.

Finally getting the respect I deserve as a full barred forumer.

Losers.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      You guys are that? It’ll be “Mr. Ryan Jones” to you turds from now on.

Finally getting the respect I deserve as a full barred forumer.

Losers.
                      In your dreams you Clark bar swiping hose hauler.

You and respect haven't been in the same firehouse since you sold all the stuffed animals out of the pumper for beer money.
                      I'm using the full authority granted by my badge to open an investigation on you. Yer already on thin ice for swiping the ropes out of the hose tower.

Comment

Thanks Noel. First off I have been wrong about the Aneroid. Can't blame the carb builders I spoke on the phone with either. What I have is actually the latter filler spool. The Crankshaft Correlation had some new information I had not seen yet. What I have replaced the Aneroid and simply adjusted to ambient temperature. From what I have/haven't gather from my research is this thermometer is even more scarce than the barometer. After seeing the picture I seem to remember seeing it before in the shop.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...OL_DETAILS.jpg

After I rebuilt the carburetor it developed a leak on the filter housing and already had the self tapping housing on it. I sent it to Daytona Carbs to be Helicoiled. They had a name for the crud in the bottom and said it won't come loose. Run it unless I wanted a full carburetor restoration. As for the heads, that is what they looked like after dragging a car 600 miles increasingly leaning the engine out the closer I got to sea level. I found another set of heads to swap in.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                          Them contraptions were made 12 miles from where I sit. Today it's nearly an empty 30 acre factory under roof, and little manufacturing happens there. Might have a Rochester Quad from a 350 bowtie on the shelf if you want it.
                          Last man I knew of who sweet talked them things ain't said a word in 30 years.

Might know where there are 2 tin cabinets of parts for them too, but they might cost money.
                          I would appreciate the free carb. Worst case I can use it for parts. I will PM you my mailing address. Let me know how to repay you for shipping. Maybe I can send you some old Ford parts. I would like a line on the other carb parts and tools.
                          Thanks, Chris

Comment

I'm not going to admit to the number of in my carb collection, but it's more then one less then six and I know crap about such things. While I'm tempted to open them all up and see if they have one of those in them, I don't think any of them do.
                            I've open a few and as you say, a rare bird.
                            Most would be looking for a replacement carb and I'm surprised your not one of them already? I'd have reached my limit.

That said, I did own a 76 Cutlass, and an 81 Cutlass Salon car, Great rides both of them. Not that I'm a purest, but if you find the parts, figure out how to set it up, why not. But will you trust it?

I would think the heads could be cleaned up and reused? While no mechanic, buying a valve spring compressor almost makes you feel like one. A torque wrench almost seals the deal. And the heads are off so your ahead of the game for a back yard rebuild. Hot rod magazines make the stuff look so easy and it mostly is if you don't mind the work. You don't appear to be afraid, I call it winning.

I have a PDF of a Olds part's cat. that shows a break down of that carb. Let me know if that would be helpful.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                              I'm not going to admit to the number of in my carb collection, but it's more then one less then six and I know crap about such things. While I'm tempted to open them all up and see if they have one of those in them, I don't think any of them do.
                              I've open a few and as you say, a rare bird.
                              Most would be looking for a replacement carb and I'm surprised your not one of them already? I'd have reached my limit.

That said, I did own a 76 Cutlass, and an 81 Cutlass Salon car, Great rides both of them. Not that I'm a purest, but if you find the parts, figure out how to set it up, why not. But will you trust it?

I would think the heads could be cleaned up and reused? While no mechanic, buying a valve spring compressor almost makes you feel like one. A torque wrench almost seals the deal. And the heads are off so your ahead of the game for a back yard rebuild. Hot rod magazines make the stuff look so easy and it mostly is if you don't mind the work. You don't appear to be afraid, I call it winning.

I have a PDF of a Olds part's cat. that shows a break down of that carb. Let me know if that would be helpful.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm

I will take all the information I can get. Not many people running daily driver FE engines out of state, even fewer using Quadrajet's on them. I just took a pile of parts someone else designed and used the ones that I thought would work good together. The heads are reusable with new exhaust valves and seats at most. All the cylinders showed pressure loss on the exhaust side.

Comment

Working...
                              X