4130 wheelie bars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4130 wheelie bars

Since the add picture function seems to work better these days, thought I'd toss up a picture (I actually took one!) of a real common job for me...

4130 wheelie bars brought in by a customer. Seems like guys around here like to do as much as they can on their cars, then get it to the right guy. So it's not at all uncommon for me to get something like this that's been racked up.

The fit up is pretty good (this time) and those are very small mig tacks. Only thing is, I have to cut it apart because the mill scale has not been removed.

It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees here today so I shouldn't have an issue with it cooling too fast, so that's good. Get these knocked out and to the powder coated by the end of the day.
    Attached Files

Sweet table, how thick is that and did you buy it like that. I dont know if what Ive welded is 4130 but Ive welded lots of 1 1/4 chrome for boiler/steam piping. We would use er80s-b2 / 8018 b2. Preheat to around 350 I think and then wrap it with a fiberglass heat wrap thing after. Do you use that same "procedure" for this?
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

The table comes as a kit from certiflat tables. That's the biggest they can ship without having to pay freight. I would not buy it again though, I'd go up a size or two and just cry about the high shipping cost. Pretty easy to put together but also pretty easy to not get flat. I went over kill on the clamping when I assembled it and it's still bowed up. But it also didn't cost much. All of the fixturing on there I built, including the modified horrible frieght clamps. I think it's 1/4" plate.

4130 chromoly is very common in motor sports. With the thin wall tubing like this I prefer to use er80SD2 filler, 1/16" with a 3/32" 2% lanthanated tungsten dressed down with a fine point. You don't have to pre or post heat, but it doesn't hurt. It was 70 degrees here the other day when I fabbed it up, so you just take your time, weld a little slower and let the metal heat up so I cools slower. If it was cold out, I would've at least heated the shop up and probably wrapped the joints after welding to slow the cool rate or hit it with a little preheat up and down the bars.

Comment

Nice Table! It was the first thing I noticed after opening the picture. The wheelie bars are pretty cool too. I just did a sample weld on 4130 tube this morning as part of the bid. 1" .065 wall. Customer spec'ed ER70S2 for the rod. No pre or post heat.
        What are those bars going on? And I like your jiging angles and clamps, can really make multiple parts fast and easy to put together.

Comment

Guy is building a drag truck out of a ford ranger. Gonna be a fast little mammerjammer too.

Comment

"Pretty easy to put together but also pretty easy to not get flat"

I thought those were next to impossible not to end up flat? What do you think happened?

Lots have started using Titanium tubing for wheelie bars...

Comment

Man, I'm really not sure. I followed the assembly instructions exactly, even went above and beyond with the clamping. This model doesn't have the side pieces, I bet that would help keep it straight. That's why I say I'd go up a size or two next time. I used to have pictures of how I had it all clamped up but I must've deleted them somewhere along the line. I have no doubt it was completely my mistake that caused the warpage though. It's quite likely I got in a fired ass hurry and didn't sequence my welds properly. I compensate for the upwards bow by using spacers on the edges, just little 2" round magnets to raise the piece up 1/4" and it's fine. So all in all, it still works fine.

I have been anticipating the change to titanium, and thanks the burnthands, I have some wire to experiment with. I just haven't bought any tubing to practice on. Have you done many jobs with titanium?

Comment

Ford Ranger, that will be something. Back in the day I had a '72' Chevy LUV truck with a 325 HP 327.She did a solid 13 in the quarter with or without the shell on the bed, lots of fun and trouble.
                Welding sequence absolutely your issue, that can turn tube structures into pretzels if your not careful.

Comment

I bet that was a fun little truck to drive.

Ya, I was pretty pissed at myself for screwing up such a simple job. It's not the first time I've got in a hurry and twisted the living daylights out of something. This one isn't really very bad, but when you're building something for the specific purpose of having it flat, it was a major screw up. One of these days I might cut it apart and fix it.

Comment

Went straight real good, corners not so much but it was a kick to drive.
                    Don't beat yourself up. that frame should straighten out with just a little push here and there. I've made my fair share of pretzels over the years. It's never a happy occasion, almost always able to get um straight in the end

Comment

Did you get straight?

Comment

The bars or the fab table?

Comment

Both. More important the table.

Comment

The bars were ram rod straight. Hadn't had time to work on the table yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X