Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take a guy to do something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playgrounds, like my bud Phil says unless the kid is involved in the building have no value. They're just another bribe you throw at the rugrat in the hope of amusing.

You can get bamboo it's a wonderful material to teach the kid with. Learning to lash and brace will benefit the kid forever. You build it, do you really expect the kid to play on it?

Yes, you guys took a screwin when HRM's moderator from the Bahamas ordered you onto it. Somebody made a fortune re-metering gas pumps from Imperial to Liters and we ain't mentioning the crook who put milk in baggies. Of course you were used to Wentworth, so what was one more set of wrenches.

HDPE is a new toy to learn what I can get away with. Oxbow Harvester West of me has been playing with it on machines fr 15 years, and it has some benefits over metal. Definitely cuts to shape fast & easy, although band sawing ain't making me happy. I have much to learn and with a source @ a penny a pound I can afford the education.

First out is adding HDPE to my deadblow devices as an impact surface. Hockey puck source for hammer faces got shut off due to a retirement.
    Also testing it for locking cams in a couple aplications like a rope puller and cable holder. Might cobble up a device to pull winch lines too.
    Those spurs will put a hurting on a man even with leather gloves.

Also need to learn how it will tolerate heat. Specs and reality are usually different.

Also researching updating a Genuine Miller Electric MM-200 for ease of setting thru cataracts.
    ​​​​​​​Still need to test red and white LEDs

Comment

My neighbors name is Phil. Truly a smart man but a bit crazy when he's free wheeling.
      I'm not saying my Phil and your Phil are the same guy or alike but I'm going to say, they sound similar.

I'm going to disagree with Phil, and your agreement in his assessment Franz.

"
      unless the kid is involved in the building have no value."
      Bitter Sweets to that. You have to know your kid enough to not build a Disney Castle when he wants a Bart Simpson tree house.

Play houses, play structures and play grounds. Ok...the latter having been taken over and ruined by the Liberals, Lawyers and the parents who hurt themselves and were coddled. Rubber suits and a helmet so know one get a scratch or broken bone. Only 2 bones I ever broke was in Elementary School gym class learning the high jump? I did hurdles like a gazelle.

No...I say keep the young kids away and go crazy building. Give them a board to hammer and practice bending nails maybe, but out from under foot, away from the power tools. and start building.

If they are a bit older and want to help, fine. Start them on a shovel. If they ask why, tell them it's to appreciate the value of a good education.

But your not building it for them, you are building it for you, to make up for the fact you didn't get one as a kid, and if you did, this is what's it's going to look like.

Yea, we took a screwing and it's only gotten worse. And No...We were Imperial measure since I can remember.
      Wentworth was the Brits.
      I think the British invasion of the 60's was responsible for that? Until I bought a Triumph basket case in around 1986 I'd never heard of Wentworth? Live and learn.

That HDPE effort. I found a few pieces of 2" and the glue. I'm going to see for myself what a little glue does beside holding things in alignment. I've watched a few video's of Bamboo construction and it's principles of use, there is some over lap.

"
      Also need to learn how it will tolerate heat. Specs and reality are usually different." My thoughts on that is the product will loose rigidity as temperature rises, and flexibility as it get colder.

Interesting what your trying on the lighting. No one thinks of such things because frankly, it's a scary pill of truth to swallow that the chance is good we can have the condition develop as we age. I like the effort and hope to hear a positive benefit. I might need it one day.
      I would think it holds value. While it can be a struggle to see that crack with older eyes, sometimes turning the heat up and burning it in works like a 12 gauge for punch, good enough.

Comment

Phil and I been together for over 30 years, and ain't killed each other yet. For 20 of those years I signed the paychecks. When I went down the secretary paged Phil in S Carolina and told him cut cable and haul. When I got out of the hospital Phil and 5 others who had been with me for years owned the company, and if I kept living they had to pay. When I got to the house he was backed up my driveway in MY coach to make sure the wife and cats were fine.

He may be a little disconnected from general society, but all things considered it is for the best. He bought 65 acres west of me about 10 miles and put up his dream tin building, 60 x 80 with a ramp bay so his coach sits level with the floor in a walled off section. Law says he can't live in the building, but it don't say he can't park his coach there, and sometimes he doses off in the coach. County forbids him drilling a well because public water is available. No rules about horizontal bores for dewatering the ground, so Phil has about 500 feet of plastic collector bored in. Last I looked he had 4000 gal of storage buried. No toilet or septic, so he has a 1500 gallon tank in the front yard and oddly one of the local pumpers happens to park a truck there. Phil finds ways around inconveniences.

He's also got a collection of farmer wives who love him and keep his building accessible in winter.

Few years back he learned the hotel/bar next town west was going on the auction block and the owner's widow was in need of a place to live. Phil bought the hotel left the widow in place to run the bar, and don't loose too much running the place. He's talking making it the Town Museum to keep from paying taxes and avoid more legal requirements like fire sprinklers the County swears are necessary even though the town water can't support them. Phil will frustrate them into going with his plan. Place needed a new roof so he worked a deal to get the rubber roof coming off the University 10 miles away and hired hald a dozen roofers to put it on his bar/hotel. It ain't pretty, but it don't leak.

Far as kids working, I started at age 2 poking nails into beehives so the old man could hit them with his hammer. It was production work, but I learned on that job. I wasn't bringing a paycheck in, but I was earning my groceries.

Work is good for kids. Toys are what you earn by working.

Some men used to fly model airplanes on wires in the front field when I was maybe 6. We were providing the field for them to play and nobody let me so much as touch an airplane. Fine, I rounded up some bailing twine and boards and a few nails and built my own plane. I learned a lot about lift and centrifugal force and dizzy along with how much window glass cost, and now to install new glass with putty. The guys who thought it was funny got to go find a new field.

If you found a HDPE glue that will hold HDPE to steel I want to know what it is.

LED lighting, biggest problem I have is the technology is changing faster than I can keep up with. I put LEDS in my cabinets 10 years back and better product is available today. I gotta change out emitters. Also got the house set up with 12 volt backup for when the electric (hydro) stops flowing. Led lit floors beat heck out of ceiling lights to see where you're going, they're cheap and even cheaper to run.

Comment

Sounds like you have a better Phil than the one I got living next door...want to trade the Phil's?
          I like the sound of yours, and frankly, I've had enough of mine. Mines a smart guy, knows the system, how it's played, how to play it. And he does. The crazy card keeps him on the streets, a Gov. check keeps him flush every month. I used to think I was being a good neighbor cutting grass and shovelling his snow. But he's a user of people.

I agree getting kids to work around home is a positive step forward. Doing chores if you call it that has all but left the building of little lives and building characters. The funny part is, they want to help and parents don't let them. I have a dish washer and still wash dishes by hand? It's not beneath me to do so.

Your airplane story. We all run across those people. Those were the kids who never learned to share. My ball and you can't play with it kids.

I was trial fitting door skins last night in preparation for my panel adhesive adventure. I'll keep you in the loop on the results when I try it on some HDPE tubes.

This LED lighting and 12v back up. I haven't lost power often but admittedly, I don't like being stuck in the dark or cold. While looking at re-lamping my car projects, the dimming garage from burnt ballasts, and the reminder old age catches us all, I like the way your thinking.

Comment

This will be too complex for Ryan so Ryan can stop reading here.

Fluorescent lights -v- incandescent over time function oppositely.
            As the filament erodes in a conventional lamp the light out increases until burn out. Fluorescents actually Mercury vapor pounding on a fluorescing powder diminish in lumen output over the life of the tube. When the ends of the tube discolo(u)r the lumen output is about (aboot) 45% of initial lumens and the lamp and ballast are consuming more watts than on day 1. The bustards dim as they age.

A second issue rarely discussed when it comes to fluorescent is throw distance from the tube. A combination of issues renders fluorescent useful at a max distance of 12 feet from the tube. Even with a new tube, hand work at 15 feet usually requires supplemental light.

There are presently 2 systems for replacing fluorescent with LED. One system leaves the ballast in play, and wastes electrons (hydro) the second requires rewiring of the fixture. Do some homework before buying either.

My method involves 20 and 50 watt LED self "ballasted" LED emitters direct from some Chinese kid sitting on a 3 legged stool earning his daily rice and gruel. One or even multiple emitters about the size of a postage stamp are easily bolted to a cookie sheet from the vaunted welding supplier Dollar General. A small gob of heat transfer paste between the emitter and cookie sheet provides superior heat dissipation and renders longer emitter life.
            Reflectors aren't really needed with LED emitters, and a secondary 12 volt DC emitter can be installed for lighting when the power (hydro) company craps out. Emitters can also be attached to existing fixtures after anticipating heat dissipation.

The 20 and 50 watt emitters can also be installed in those miserable die cast "work lights" delivering more light and less heat.

Colo(u)r temperature is in the 5000k range and throw distance is superior to fluorescent.

Comment

I'm not sure what my next move is going to be, but what it should be is emptying my life of car and car projects. When I installed those fluorescents I was doing building maintenance and at $5.00 each I didn't think I did bad. I had 4- 60 watt bulbs lighting a 22'x24' garage. The place was actually pretty empty then. Enough so that I gave it a paint job and parked cars in it. I still park cars in it.Just have to walk side ways to get around.
              But yea, darn things are either dimming down or just burnt out and with the stuff I got in the way, they won't be changed out any time soon. Half the reason I'm sure that tub of tinning flux hasn't shown up, to many shadows and to much crap piled up.
              At one time is was pretty bright in there. Now it's a cave. Thanks for the knowledge.

EDIT Addition. Spent 3 hours hauling 4 door shells and 4 skins up from the basement, out to the back yard, confirmed the fit, made a plan. Looking like rain I hauled them back inside. Darn things are heavy, awkward, the stamped holes sharp. No cuts but I should have wore gloves. 2 more doors to confirm and it's assembly time. I think I need more clamps or I'll end up watching glue dry. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6097.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	600589Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6106.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	600590Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6098.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	600591Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6103.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	600592Heavier together then apart, I blame the sound deadener. Shortness of breath from humping them, that's smoking.

Another edit. The power wheel car. I added the rubber tire wrap off an old mountain bike. That little car is all terrain. Zoom, zoom. I'm going to paint a big S on it.
              Last edited by Noel; 08-08-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

They say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I say what doesn't kill you hurts. Well... It didn't kill me, and the stronger part, I'm not so sure. But the hurt, that reminder still lingers after humping those doors.

Tackit, Aeronca, thanks for your concerns and sympathies. I'm still feeling some of the after effects but on the mend. Mostly just regular pain now.
                it hasn't broken my resolve to push forward. Just not ready to tackle those doors with out some help.

So...I woke to what was to be a nice day. Warm, cloudy, low humidity. With a slow start the push didn't happen until early in the afternoon, 1:30 or so. Started unwrapping the parts and laying them out. By 2:30 I was spraying and by 4 pm or so I was done the second coat on one side and cleaning the gun. Used up the product I'd mixed and my back was hurting again.

I killed a bit of time humming and hawing before I said "I'm not wrapping those, I'm flipping and doing the other side. So I mixed up more product and went to town. Pushing through the discomfort, the gun working well, I sprayed product. Just over an hour with a 20 minute flash time. I'm a robot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6145.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	600832

In this picture I'd finished the second coat other side, stuff was dry to the touch, the clouds were looking like rain so I started wrapping. I didn't get far. Lovely stuff this catalyzed epoxy. Stuff was dry to the touch and feeling a sprinkle I just threw tarps over it and left it sitting there. Not before taking picture of the days effort however.

Name:	IMG_6147.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	600833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6151.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	600834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6149.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	600835

I was wrapped up and in the house around 7:30. I'm thinking there was a old guy in his back yard solid 6 hours put in, but really, 4 hours worth of work.

I did get a couple of runs.

Name:	IMG_6159.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	600836Ok...more like drips. I made a better effort to take the gun apart after the one side was double tapped, cleaned the needle no more drips.

I haven't painted the "S" yet on the car. That's still in the works. But I will.

Comment

Sometimes I do things knowing it makes no sense... but I do it anyways.
                  When my buddy asked if I could, I said of course I could. I'm a talented guy. Handy, capable, and I have equipment, why not?

What I didn't say was, "Your asking me to build two of what looks simple enough but is actually a lot of work that no one can justifiably charge for". Or "yea, you got a good deal on the lights but you should have paid more and bought the whole kit.".

Well let me tell you, I didn't.
                  Now I'm not sure how you might do this, or if you would? Frankly, I should have said find a good sheet metal shop that's well equipped and maybe sucker them in to doing it, pay the price and be done with it, but I didn't. I said yea, I can do it.

Card board template, a little layout, off to the races. First time for everything, it was not without a couple of snags. Those legs I did twice due to clearance issues. But for every problem is a solution, and I with evidence of completion found those problems solvable.

So how long does it take a guy to do something...in this case 12 hours. I know, holy smokes, it went into over time. The moral dilemma being, what are those little brackets worth?

I know this wasn't work I was set up to do, but could and did accomplish it. A Metal shear, Jig saw, drill press, tap and dies, a grinder and wire wheel on a bench grinder, a little torch brazing and some red paint.
                  While it would have been easier to just blow buddy off and say no, I was also being selfish in knowing it would buy me parts credits in trade.

When I make my set they will be done slightly differently, more efficiently for sure, but with the templates being made,
                  a better jig saw, the work space conducive to working, I think 3 - 4 hours is reasonable. Still quicker and cheaper to buy a kit, maybe?
                  But that takes cash, this took time. Pick your poison.

Name:	IMG_6168.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	601057Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6209.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	601060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6216.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	601058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6217.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	601059

Name:	IMG_6221.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	601061

Maybe black would have been a better choice, but red was on hand so red was the color.

Comment

I don't always appear to heed good advice. Truth is I'm sometimes just slow to show response, or follow up. Pondering out comes maybe? But I do listen when it's given.

Turns out the rolls of packing wrap were found cheaply at a garage sale. Beat the heck out of store bought plastic wrap. The lighting up grades are going to happen in the future but I'm planning for them. But I have to do some cleaning, way to much in an area that's too small. And when I do clean, I'm going to find tinning flux.

Name:	IMG_6218.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	601063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6161.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	601064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6163.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	601065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6165.JPG
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	601067

Those parts weren't wrapped with it however. But they were wrapped. Old habits are hard to break it seems?

Attached Files

Comment

Look at me go. Little steps that don't amount to much but go towards making progress.

When it comes to saving time, tooling can make a difference. That little hand held punch, that saved me some time plunking holes. I would highly recommend the purchase.

Name:	IMG_6230.JPG
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	601220Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6232.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	601221
                      The rocker panels were removed to install the end caps and to allow for some pre planning when it gets glued in place with adhesives.

Using every piece of scrap to cut fab and mount a transmission and torque tube, not so much of a time saver. But it came out looking not to bad. Probably the red paint that deserves the credit?

Name:	IMG_6233.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	601222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6270.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	601224Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6269.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	601223

Anyways, while I'm not sure if this motor and transmission will stay ( it wasn't planned that it would), the idea was that if a modification is yet to be required as usually happens due to a change in power train, fab it up to allow for such a change to happen easily. Bolt on bolt off.

I'm calling it progress.

Comment

Longer...Yea, usually it takes longer then expected. Especially if you don't know what your doing, haven't done it before, or you haven't thought out all the possibilities. Such is the case. I made three paper templates before cutting the good stuff. My holes are spot on.

Name:	IMG_6301.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	601366To better understand the problem, I don't know what I'm doing, I haven't done it before, and I haven't thought out all the possibilities.

Name:	IMG_6303.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	601367 What I did know was I still had red paint, I wanted the rad support off of the wooden stilts it was balancing on, and that It was happening.

Name:	IMG_6304.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	601368 Right about here I was feeling groovy. Holes lined up, I had pre chased the threads with a tap so the bolts fingered into place easily.

Name:	IMG_6306.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	601369Driver side ,passenger side and then came the moment. The moment when the realization hits that's you screwed up.

Name:	IMG_6316.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	601370Missed the mark by that much. But it fit in principle and that's what counts.

Comment

Silly me. Turns out I didn't screw up in the true sense of screwing up. I flipped the mount bracket, that lifted the front, tipping the A pillar back which allowed me to pull the bottom in, and guess what, darn thing is aligning back up. Ha! Look who thinks he's born lucky.

Name:	IMG_6340.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	601400Now before you go thinking to much, the bumper brackets bolt to the lower portion. Off to the left you can see the original frame and rust pattern from the bumper brackets. Not just a pretty face, a lucky face.

Name:	IMG_6341.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	601401 You can see the cradle was flipped, raising the nose up an inch. I may still have to shim things, but it's once again close and looking good too go further.

Name:	IMG_6342.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	601402 If you compare this picture to the one in post #40, something changed. Things became cleaner. Did the drive way at the same time. Figuring to yet do some winterizing to the engine befor the snow hits, I put in an effort to brighten things up. I plan better then I give myself the credit for it seems. Or it's luck. I'm ok with either or.

Comment

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/you-cant-as...5a-010f385fad1

They say still waters run deep, well so does the mind. I flogged off the mini Cooper. It's gone. Bad Grandpa.
                            With disappointment, I never got the "S" painted on. I know, a real bummer. It should have been look at that "S" car go? Instead, it's good by Cooper.

Anyways... Like Christmas on the last day of August or the first of September, I'm not sure? Guess it's September? Where does the time go I don't know, but I'm looking over and rewrapping parts. Opening boxes the wrapping inside was dated May 2010.

Name:	IMG_6346.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	601498There was lots as it and card board wrapping the tinted laminate glass. Found out the reproduction rubbers for the back window, they ain't fitting worth a crap.

Name:	IMG_6347.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	601497 The template was provided in the package to confirm the glass was cut properly, and it was. I'm not sure what the guys at Dennis Carpenter will offer but I'm going to email them and see if they will offer replacements or just say cut, shorten, glue the ends?

Name:	IMG_6349.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	601496I'm not sure which tail lights I'm going to use and I do have originals for one car, but with two cars I end up with extras. Funny thing is, the car only came with one from the factory.

Comment

"A rich man goes to college, a poor man goes to work". I'll be darned if I can remember who sang that but I think it was Charlie Daniels?

When it comes to salvaging over buying reproduction, it's more work to salvage parts.
                              Not sure if it was worth the time and effort, but I did.

Name:	IMG_6352.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	601628 I didn't show the torch and scraping of undercoating, but it took the better part of a couple hours. Then I wire wheeled to find what I thought was all the Resestant Spot Welds, I did miss a few anyways, then I brought out a hameer an a center punch and went to town.

Name:	IMG_6354.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	601629For those who have never drill out spot welds, cutting fluid is your friend. Here I didn't use the fancy spot weld tool. Progressive drilling from a center punch mark start, 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8" as required.

Name:	IMG_6357.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	601630 Blow the image up to count holes and you'll find around 50 in each floor brace. All in around 167 to remove them and the seat mounting brackets from the floor pan.

Name:	IMG_6358.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	601631While I'm sure it looks like a good time to toss this scrap pile, It may still serve a useful purpose.

Name:	2009 Stuff 086.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	601632 I'm not sure what the floors are like in this car, but I may need to do some patching so I'm keep it. I'll section the panels to shrink the package and find a spot to hide it untill I know better on whether or not I do need it ?

Comment

Name:	IMG_1253.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	601861That windshield. When I first glimpsed picture of this car I noticed not the windshield frame, but the 3 clips on the frame that were still attached.

Name:	IMG_1157.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	601860 It was a nasty bit of work, but with patience and perserverance, I got it out. And I did it without loosing a screw. All that hardware has been glass beaded and shot with Epoxy after rebuilding. Crank out windshield, but it was a bit of work saaving it.

Name:	IMG_3997.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	601862 This was after it was scuffed with a disc to remove the loose chrome and heavy rust. Then it was glass beaded, washed down with a metal etch acid and glass beaded again. Lots of rust was discoved in the glass troughs and I wanted it clean, as much as possible neutralized before filling with a fiberglass strand filler. It was sprayed with epoxy first, scuffed with 120 and filled. I'm not calling it a trick, but doing sections seemed to be the key for not making a mess of it. A few broken screws were removed and all holes retapped to clean threads.

Name:	IMG_6376.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	601863Why my buddy Mike, the guy with the car that started all this, bought all laminated tinted glass is beyond me? I get the laminated part, but the tint? More money then brains maybe? But it won't pass inspection with this glass so it will be removed and replaced with clear, I however needed to see the pit falls of installing with out breaking and this was practice for that.

Name:	IMG_6401.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	601864Upside down, I fitted a rubber and wrapped in packing wrap. Twice. Did it once then cut it off to install the rubber just because I wanted to see and practice how it went on, then thought leave it. So yea, twice. Guess it takes longer when you get other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X