I Broke It!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Broke It!!!

The other weekend I was wheeling on the back roads by Big Bear Lake in SoCal. Went over a little drop off. A touch taller than my ground clearance, came down on the right side step and snapped that puppy off. After the initial awe s***, I thought no problem I'll just weld it back together. Looks and feels like aluminum. WRONG it's not aluminum. Anyone know what it is? Now I figure I'll just make new brackets from scratch

Nothing else to go on? Factory equipment for what vehicle? Or is it an aftermarket with a make and model? What makes you think it's not aluminum? There are many alloys of aluminum and not all are weldable. It may make a difference if it is cast aluminum.

Comment

Sorry to be so vague, doing to many things at the same time. The truck is an '02' F-250 with factory side steps. They are cast and now that I'm taking a bit more time to look at it. I'm not sure what my malfunction was. The other day I tried TIGing it and the rod wasn't fusing. I was just rushing, not giving the part enough time to get hot, I know better! This morning After reading your response Mac I tried welding again. Hung out waited for the base metal to melt added rod and O MY GOSH it worked. I feel like an idiot. I tried both 4043 and 4943 today and they both fuse just fine. It would be nice if someone knows what alloy this material really is. I will weld them up using 4943, think it will make a stronger joint. I'll try not to break it again.

Comment

All better now. Welded them up and bolted them back on the truck. As solid as it ever was.

Comment

Thanks for posting the resolution! That looks like a nice repair!

Comment

No problem. Once I pulled my head out, the repair went really smooth. Used a wire brush to remove the powder coat, then beveled all sides, clamped the 2 halves together, put a couple of heavy tacks on. Took off the clamp and welded all the way around.

Comment

Working...
            X