Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franz©
    replied
    No idea if it's been on Utoob or not. Believe me, BOTH Xs leave a lot to be desired, along with the ability of the T case to handle the power being delivered to it.

If you had access to the GM Engineering archives there are a few file cabinets of engineering notes and pictures. GM engineers were regular visitors to the build. Lot came with parts order pads so Bill could throw more money at the toy.
    Both Xs are stock GM 3/4 for that year, not sure of manufacture since VietNam was still consuming a large share of 4x4 power trains.
    When the project started I argued for a NAPCO X and T case, but the builder thought stock was sufficient by his calculations.

I also was very strongly opposed to hanging the rear of the Roadranger from the cab floor. I lost that argument too.

You look close at the power plant you can find both a generator and 100 amp alternator to supply the Ham equipment scheduled to go in the truck. It had no problem supporting a 500 watt transmitter.

Current ownership is of the opinion the Pickle is a monument to the man who built it, and it will probably remain unchanged. I donated running boards and pipe to run across the bottom of the frame to support them, mostly for my convenience. I'm OK with the Pickle remaining a rolling monument. It doesn't tour 2000 miles a year, and that's fine too. Not unusual when the Pickle is parked for somebody to walk up and ask if it's the truck Bill built. I figure Bill ain't gone as long as the Pickle survives and men remember his name.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
    Trailer hitch is primarily for pulling the Pickle out because the front is too heavy to go off road.
    Low hole gear will allow the driver to get out of the cab, walk around the truck and climb back in while the truck over 9 feet at idle.
    The Jake is definitely a big help given the minimal braking provided by the factory drums.

Such contraptions were something to build in the 80s along with multiple car bodies being placed atop K-5 Blazer frames including a Camaro and a VW Bug.

I don't criticize, my toy is a 52 Dodge M-37 with a 318 under the hood and a few other accessories Uncle Sugar never included.
    I have seen this truck on You Tube I believe. Only thing I see wrong is the front axle is too light to carry the weight. Appears to be a Dana 44/ GM 10 bolt which would be standard equipment in a 3/4 ton GM. A King pin 60 would live a lot happier. I bet that thing eats ball joints like candy. Still a nice unique truck.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Trailer hitch is primarily for pulling the Pickle out because the front is too heavy to go off road.
    Low hole gear will allow the driver to get out of the cab, walk around the truck and climb back in while the truck over 9 feet at idle.
    The Jake is definitely a big help given the minimal braking provided by the factory drums.

Such contraptions were something to build in the 80s along with multiple car bodies being placed atop K-5 Blazer frames including a Camaro and a VW Bug.

I don't criticize, my toy is a 52 Dodge M-37 with a 318 under the hood and a few other accessories Uncle Sugar never included.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    He'll need them drive shafts with the torque that transmission is providing.
    This innocent looking pickup looks stock until you notice the badges. They don't lie.
    It egan as a new pickup, a new Detroit and new 13 speed road ranger in the mind of a man with a fist full of money and absolutely no understanding of transfer cases and axles.
    Maiden trip under its own power came 2 years later only on road piloted by the builder who insisted o shifting every gear up and down.

The tuck can't be powered to the road without eating parts. It went into hiding when the bilder died, and remained hiding 30 years, 2 miles from where it was built, barely escaping scrappers. Current owned hunted for the legendary Dill Pickle born long before he was for 12 years and finally found it. 3 more years of taking the engine down and putting it back together along with the transmission and the Pickle hit the road again now with a Jake built from parts.
    Current owner understands the Pickle will move out from a dead stop in 6th, and he can drive it.

I rode in the Pickle in 76, and again in 2018.. I'm sure it's a lot farther up to the seat today than it was in 76.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    I'm going to say, your project is moving right along. I don't mind saying, your doing some nice work. Heck, and it's clean. I like clean. While this level of 4x4 is beyond my depth, I'm in marvel at the drive shafts. Those are beasts.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190919_192143.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	602605Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_012558.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	602606Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184222.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	602607

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
    Long as you got it that far apart might as well go swivelframe in the fine old tradition.

What are you using for axles?
    Just a Dana 80 rear and king pin 60 front. Nothing fancy

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Long as you got it that far apart might as well go swivelframe in the fine old tradition.

What are you using for axles?

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    I Am using a RTO 6610 fuller and a Rockwell T223 transfer case.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_184215.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	601823Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_210000.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	601825
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• D Auger
    replied
    Looking nice so far !What t case and trans are you using I know it’s been a while ?
    D

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Ok, but just the drip rail.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    I love those old dodge trucks like that. Please don't repaint it, you'll ruin the patina.
    Its go to much patina on the drip rail. I'm gonna have to deal with that.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I love those old dodge trucks like that. Please don't repaint it, you'll ruin the patina.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied
    A welding cart build got in the way of progress. Getting started back on it now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X