• Show
Clear All

• racerx
    replied
    Thaxs fellas lots of good info. here.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I generally swap out the #17 tig head for a #9 and use a #7 gas lense for roll cages. A stubby gas lense would probably be better. With the gas lense you can stick out a little more, which should help you see the puddle better. <br />
    <br />
    I got some of those Pyrex cups in an attempt to be able to see the puddle better, and they do work. I think a regular gas lense gives better coverage when compared to the Pyrex ones I got, but it did help with the visibility. <br />
    <br />
    Don't drop you torch though. I let my buddy try it out, the first thing he did was drop the darn thing.

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    Tig pencil is pretty sweet also...ebay for about 10 bucks

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    7 and 8 is what I prefer. It's what I have mostly used when I learned. I run the gas lens mostly but I'll swap out for the regular smaller size nozzle and collet body for the tight spots...I've been looking at the clear nozzle gas savers but they kinda look a little fat at the business end. Probably be sweet to see better though

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    replied
    What size cups you guys use for like welding cages etc.,right now i'm using a #7 and it seems kind of hard see the puddle.

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    Did some tinkering today, found ano old game control of some kind. It has a potentiometer that has 2 sides. It's not the correct value but it's an idea. I don't even know if you could get used to it if you wired both sides. Pretty neat though. I was thinking for out of position or awkward hand hold it may work. Use forward,back,left and right. Any push from the center changes the pot values... anyway I'm sure I'll have to brain up a little more to find what I need and make it work but it's an idea. Took my remote control tig apart to see its pot. Got lucky on that being 1k. Game control pot is 10k ohm

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    It is a flexible head. The wire sheath is on a ball and socket. It's movement is only about 20 degrees...still helps in tight spots. Squeeze trigger is a good idea. I may attempt to find a trigger out of a drill or Nintendo....something has to work somehow

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I always wondered why nobody ever made a torch with a controller like the old slot car controllers? Squeeze trigger to vary the amps.

Leave a comment:

• racerx
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael ray View Post
    I rigged this one to my millers. Had same value on the ohm meter as my genuine miller. Think this came with a thermal arc or something..found on ebay for 54 dollars
    Nice score....is that one of the flex heads?seem s that will be handy for a 360 degree welding.

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    I rigged this one to my millers. Had same value on the ohm meter as my genuine miller. Think this came with a thermal arc or something..found on ebay for 54 dollars

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I find it extremely difficult to keep the torch steady and operate the thumb control. I'd almost rather scratch start. <br />
    <br />
    There was a guy that posted on here a few weeks ago about this fancy thumb control doodad he found and, if I remember right, it was completely different in operation than the normal ones. Pretty much a push button start and stop but it had a few more positions to it. Looked pretty cool, if anyone knows the link to it.

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    Best to have a couple different options for awkward situations. Might be able to tag team it...get a buddy to watch your puddle and control the amps while you work the torch and rod...might be possible if you have a friend that can weld and help. It'd have to be a pretty good friend I guess to be able to watch the puddle and know your next move, the kind of friend that thinks the same way you do...I've only had 1 friend like that....maybe he'll straighten out and clean up one day and get back to a normal life...**** drugs!!!

Leave a comment:

• Michael ray
    replied
    With a potentiometer and a little creative thinking you could make one and control it with almost anything.. good idea on the thigh master style. I like my east west wheel. I cut the finger pad off the right hand glove for easier control. I learned to tig with that style and personally I don't like the pedal. I heard of one guy that had some serious medical issues. Lost use of 3 or maybe all 4 limbs and he was a hobby welder if I remember correctly. I think I read that he used a custom rac that he bit down on to turn on and up. Hated to hear that in one way but glad to hear him still trying to do something.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Foot pedal. I even prefer holding the foot pedal between my knees like a thigh master when upside down under a dash welding a roll cage like h80n mentioned. I rarely use my thumb control for anything other than taking up space in my carrying case for the 150 STH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X