No announcement yet.

Thumb control or foot pedal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some tinkering today, found ano old game control of some kind. It has a potentiometer that has 2 sides. It's not the correct value but it's an idea. I don't even know if you could get used to it if you wired both sides. Pretty neat though. I was thinking for out of position or awkward hand hold it may work. Use forward,back,left and right. Any push from the center changes the pot values... anyway I'm sure I'll have to brain up a little more to find what I need and make it work but it's an idea. Took my remote control tig apart to see its pot. Got lucky on that being 1k. Game control pot is 10k ohm
    blue stock,
    miller shopmaster 300, s22a feeder, s30 spool gun, hf251, arc pig
    miller maxstar 150 STL
    miller maxstar 210
    miller a bp 330
    non blue,
    Lincoln weldanpower 150 1982 model
    esab plasma
    Hobart ironman 210, spool gun
    victor oxy acy set
    thousands of snap on tools, 3 large boxes and tons of automotive equip.

Comment

What size cups you guys use for like welding cages etc.,right now i'm using a #7 and it seems kind of hard see the puddle.

Comment

7 and 8 is what I prefer. It's what I have mostly used when I learned. I run the gas lens mostly but I'll swap out for the regular smaller size nozzle and collet body for the tight spots...I've been looking at the clear nozzle gas savers but they kinda look a little fat at the business end. Probably be sweet to see better though
        blue stock,
        miller maxstar 150 STL
        miller maxstar 210
        miller a bp 330
        non blue,
        esab plasma
        victor oxy acy set

Comment

Tig pencil is pretty sweet also...ebay for about 10 bucks
          blue stock,
          miller maxstar 150 STL
          miller maxstar 210
          miller a bp 330
          non blue,
          esab plasma
          victor oxy acy set

Comment

I generally swap out the #17 tig head for a #9 and use a #7 gas lense for roll cages. A stubby gas lense would probably be better. With the gas lense you can stick out a little more, which should help you see the puddle better. <br />
            <br />
            I got some of those Pyrex cups in an attempt to be able to see the puddle better, and they do work. I think a regular gas lense gives better coverage when compared to the Pyrex ones I got, but it did help with the visibility. <br />
            <br />
            Don't drop you torch though. I let my buddy try it out, the first thing he did was drop the darn thing.

Comment

Thaxs fellas lots of good info. here.

Comment

Found these on the e bay. 1k micro potentiometer. Looks like what came in that remote tig 26 I bought....these are .99 cents each. I ordered a few to try to make a couple of different remote amperage controllers. Here's the item number. 152028008153. The watt rating I'm not sure about so I ordered a couple others...they just cost more...like 2 or 3 dollars instead of just 1.
                blue stock,
                miller maxstar 150 STL
                miller maxstar 210
                miller a bp 330
                non blue,
                esab plasma
                victor oxy acy set

Comment

?.........I here the talk of the water cool torches water is pump through the torch heads using a pump.Anyone have a picture of this said pump?You fellas seem to have the game on this tig welding i'm leaning so bear with me.............Thax

Comment

I don't have a fancy water-cooler, mine on the abp 330 has a valve very similar to the argon valve. When the welder is powered up the valve opens. I use tap water supply to valve and a drain hose through the wall and dumps outside....wastes water but it really doesn't flow like an open garden hose...just a steady stream when valve is opened.
                    blue stock,
                    miller maxstar 150 STL
                    miller maxstar 210
                    miller a bp 330
                    non blue,
                    esab plasma
                    victor oxy acy set

Comment

I rarely ever use it...most my tigging allows me to take a break every few minutes and let the air cooled torch cool off...if I'm doing lots of thick aluminum I'll use it.
                      blue stock,
                      miller maxstar 150 STL
                      miller maxstar 210
                      miller a bp 330
                      non blue,
                      esab plasma
                      victor oxy acy set

Comment

ok.....Thaxs.

Comment

I'm considering building a water cooler...here's my plan if it's any help. Heater core from a junker on the hill. 12 volt computer cooling fans from radio shack. 12v power supply. 10 amp battery charger. Water pump. The lincoln ls cars 2004-2006 area and maybe more have a small electric water pump and it's cheap. They go bad often and are usually available at the parts store. Little plumbing and wiring and you can recycle your coolant/water
                          blue stock,
                          miller maxstar 150 STL
                          miller maxstar 210
                          miller a bp 330
                          non blue,
                          esab plasma
                          victor oxy acy set

Comment

The lincoln ls water pump is the auxiliary supply to the heater core...located on passenger side down towards bottom of radiator. I'll see if I can get a part number if you want.
                            blue stock,
                            miller maxstar 150 STL
                            miller maxstar 210
                            miller a bp 330
                            non blue,
                            esab plasma
                            victor oxy acy set

Comment

I just dunk my air cooler torch into a bucket of water every few minutes.

Comment

I'm just kidding, I don't really do that. I bet someone else has or does though.

Comment

Working...
                                X