Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    If you're worried about it cooling too fast, just hit it with a torch before and after. I've welded plenty of 4130 to mild steel for drag car stuff. I'm not really the expert or anything, especially since we use whatever we can get our hands on to build the garbage we race and we're "roadkill approved" I might add. Ask Freiburger about it, he'll vouch for me. <br />
    <br />
    But, if you really are concerned about it, give it some preheat and tig it with er80sd2, which is my process of choice for roll cages. But if it was me, I'd probably just roll with what I had.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    I'm no expert, but just about the only thing I would do is make sure the shop ambient temperature was at least 70°F. I would also make sure there are zero drafts that would aid in increasing the cooling rate of the joint.

Many chromoly tubes are labeled just that "4130 Chromoly-N", for those that are in the normalized condition. Is the cage painted?
    Last edited by OscarJr; 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FABMAN
    started a topic welding Mild steel to Chromemolly roll cage

welding Mild steel to Chromemolly roll cage

Got a question for you all.
    My buddy has a race car that's an older build and we are adding some extra bracing to the roll cage with mild steel 1-5/8 tubing. We are pretty sure the cage is also mild steel, but if it were chromolly, would there any trouble in MIG welding the mild steel bracing to the chromolly, any special procedures before welding ? I have a millermatic 211 with 70s-6 .035 wire, would that be suffice ?
    And any tips on how we can tell if the original cage is mild steel or chromolly ?
    thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Working...
X