• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rojodiablo
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi Spotsineyes,
    Yes I totally agree.
    Those chamber manufacturers are the ones that suggest ten times per vol.
    I actually wonder if you repair a Ti dirt bike header weather or not you need to purge the pipe at all.
    Dirt bike pipes don't last long enough anyway.

Ji
    Yes, the purge on the pipe makes a difference even on a dirtbike. In fact, more so, simply because of the abuse factor. For the OP, what I do when welding pipes, whether it be headers for a truck, or a bike, is to cap the end with masking tape, and insert a purge line. On a 2 stroke pipe, a good thing to do is to tack it up in as many sections as you can, using a purge line. Once spotted together, then you can use masking tape over the seams to prevent gas loss. As pointed out earlier, cool welds, and not too long. Alternate to keep the pipe from tweaking as you weld it up. Tape up a seam you are not working at that time, and when you get close to the tape, peel it of, and clean with acetone lightly. Same process for SS, or Ti. If regular steel is crap, then i will purge it too to minimize my issues.

Comment

• seattle smitty
      • Aug 2008

A motorcycle does not work like a car, and an ultra-low c/g, even if you could achieve such a thing, would not be at all desireable, as it is in a car. And not that it counts for much, but besides being prone to dragging, I thought the low-mounted factory pipes on my old '76 RD400C Yamaha looked dorky, so they had to go! (One of my 2011 resolutions is to learn how to post pix; but first I need to learn how to keep this beach from deleting my text ).

Good looking pipe!

Comment

• troutangler
        • Dec 2010

what is a catalytic converter

I use bassani performance exhaust system, I love it.

exhaust systems
        how much for shipping toAK

Comment

• Blue Collar Moto
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rojodiablo View Post
          Yes, the purge on the pipe makes a difference even on a dirtbike. In fact, more so, simply because of the abuse factor. For the OP, what I do when welding pipes, whether it be headers for a truck, or a bike, is to cap the end with masking tape, and insert a purge line. On a 2 stroke pipe, a good thing to do is to tack it up in as many sections as you can, using a purge line. Once spotted together, then you can use masking tape over the seams to prevent gas loss. As pointed out earlier, cool welds, and not too long. Alternate to keep the pipe from tweaking as you weld it up. Tape up a seam you are not working at that time, and when you get close to the tape, peel it of, and clean with acetone lightly. Same process for SS, or Ti. If regular steel is crap, then i will purge it too to minimize my issues.
          This is the way we purge Medical gas lines when were putting them in. Works good as gold. On a side note though, you wouldn't need to have a closed box full of purge gas to do it the other way, so long as the air where your welding is reasonably still and not windy. Guys working on live gas lines weld in trenches with a purge gas in the trench. Just think smaller like a box made to fit around the pipe. Same concept. If ya want to know if its full of purge gas, light a match and see where it dies out as ya lower it into the box.

Also, have you checked into Hydro Forming your pipes? The ones I have on my RD400 were done that way.
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Lincoln 140
          O/A
          Gradatim vincimus
          "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Working...
          X