X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ant1277
    started a topic Tube notching / fishmouths

Tube notching / fishmouths

What's the best way to find angle of tube for notching ?

• Magnus2
    replied
    Hi...,
    Sorry i have not information about it i think you should be visit on google dot com or yahoo dot com.It is the best way to find it easily.Have nice day....Bye

Leave a comment:

• wayne3alford
    replied
    Me too don't know and would go through the suggestions given below...

Leave a comment:

• PTsideshow
    replied
    I believe you can actually rent Covell's videos on some web sites.
    http://smartflix.com/
    Along with a lot of other dvd's on stuff, After watching a couple of idiots with a case of beer, a vid camera,a pencil and a cardboard box for drawing on. With the air compressor running as background music and the sunshine washing out picture, when they point the camera in the direction of the windows and open garage door. You will be glad you rented some and did not spend $89.00 on them.
    But it is a good deal, Just read all the reviews as they tell the truth

Leave a comment:

• PTsideshow
    replied
    Here is a photo demo of chop saw pipe notching, don't get no easier that this
    Pirate 4x4 chop saw notching photo demo

Leave a comment:

• Horns
    replied
    $40 Holy crap!

Leave a comment:

• con_fuse9
    replied
    Originally posted by Horns View Post
    One thing I've found hard to find out and am still looking for info on is finding what point to go off of from a bend in tubing, since there is no edge, where do you measure from?
    Ron Covell has an excellent video on working with tubing - goes into how to accurately use a tube bender. One thing he doesn't mention though if you change material, or even supplier, the spring back on tubing might change. Do a practice bend with each lot and keep notes.

I believe you can actually rent Covell's videos on some web sites.

Leave a comment:

• On fire most of the time
    replied
    You can use the edge of a bending die as your mark.

If you bend your own tubing, mark where the die edge is at the start, and you'll have a reference point. I hope that helps you with your question.

Leave a comment:

• Horns
    replied
    One thing I've found hard to find out and am still looking for info on is finding what point to go off of from a bend in tubing, since there is no edge, where do you measure from?

Leave a comment:

• overkill 19
    replied
    I use these http://www.vansantent.com/pipeMaster.htm with ,

I made a set of "jigs" one end has the tubing size I'm fabing about 8" long with the pipe master on it, then I have a second pieace of tubing " I have various lenth's" smaller so it will slide in side the first piece then U can put it in the gap, slide it apart, get your fit with the "pipe master" take it out trasfer it on to you work pieace then do the other end. it works for me. Not perfect and takes a little time but I find its easier than the programs, for the amount of tubing U will waste trying different bends,notches IMO its faster to try it, and it does not fit save it for another project and build another pieace than it is to mess around with a computer.

Leave a comment:

• Sammy
    replied
    Here is a link to a program!
    http://www.cobratorch.net/ttn_dxf

Leave a comment:

• 6pakdakota
    replied
    i'm not trying to pat myself on the back. I'm just tryig to say that if i can do it, anyone can.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    6pak,

Hope you didn't sprain your shoulder too badly, PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK.

That really helped the OP I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• 6pakdakota
    replied
    those programs are worthless unless you are notching with a saw or a grinder. if you already know the intersection angle, you know the notch angle too. i just fit up a cage yesterday and eyeballed every notch in the car. every tube fit perfect on the first cut.

Leave a comment:

• 1havnfun
    replied
    Tubemiter program

here is copy of the FREE tube miter program(runs in windows)

I had "Zip it" to upload it.

Everthing MM but it works pretty good
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X