• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vbigdog
    • May 2010

Dolly / Auto Body (not transport)

Hi,
    I'm new to welding, and this forum - apologies in advance for basic questions.

I would like to build a dolly for a car shell body (not a road/highway dolly) - but basically a jig with 4 castors that can roll a unibody shell around the garage.

Ideally, I would like to make the dolly's length and width adjustable, by having tube steel of 3"x 3" x 1/4" slide *over* 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4" . On paper, a 2 1/2" square tube (1/4" wall) might slide inside a 3" square tube (1/4" wall). I just tried to place a steel order, and asked if "...a 2 1/2" tube would slide inside a 3 " tube ? - and was told it wouldn't.

Is there a good source for accurate steel dimensions? Or other adjustability suggestions? Open to someone else's plans as well. Any / all comments welcome.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • uhohjim
    • Dec 2007

You might want to try 2"x1/4" wall tubing and use 2 1/2"reciever tubing....thats the tubing used to make a hitch reciever....it's expensive but it does not have the flash on the inside from the weld joint and I beleive the inside corners of the tubing are a little tighter to afford sliding a hitch into...Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

• willy
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Vbigdog View Post
      Hi,

I would like to build a dolly for a car shell body (not a road/highway dolly) - but basically a jig with 4 castors that can roll a unibody shell around the garage.

Ideally, I would like to make the dolly's length and width adjustable, by having tube steel of 3"x 3" x 1/4" slide *over* 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4" . On paper, a 2 1/2" square tube (1/4" wall) might slide inside a 3" square tube (1/4" wall). I just tried to place a steel order, and asked if "...a 2 1/2" tube would slide inside a 3 " tube ? - and was told it wouldn't.

Is there a good source for accurate steel dimensions? Or other adjustability suggestions? Open to someone else's plans as well. Any / all comments welcome.
      Thanks,
      Tom
      I made a similar dolly for truck cabs and beds. I used 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 X 3/16 wall tubing and 2" tubing to slide inside. It was a little sloppy so I drilled a hole in the 2 1/2" tubing, welded a nut to it, and used a bolt to tighten it down to take the slop out - seemed to work good for me....

Comment

• MMW
        • Sep 2005

For the outer tube use a 3/16" wall as this will give you a little slop. The inside of the tube has a ridge which is why you can't use size on size od/id. A nut welded to the outer tube will let you insert a bolt to tighten it once you have it set.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

• Vbigdog
          • May 2010

MMW, Willy, and Uhohjim,
          Thank you - perfect. This is just the information I was looking for.

1/4 inch wall maybe overkill for the dolly jig, but I now understand (the seem bead) being the reason my math wouldn't work.

I appreciate the responses. Thank you. Tom

Comment

• Kamikaze
            • Dec 2009

You may want to google for auto body rotisseries.
            I have seen some plans online for these even though many people sell them for a fortune!

I got mine from a guy who built his own from a set of plans he found online

Comment

• Leons2003
              • Sep 2005

I used 3/16" wall exclusive on the rotisserie I built, due to the weld in the I.D. it will allow a small amount of slop, worked well.
              Good luck
              L*S

Comment

• uhohjim
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by smithbell81
                I got in an accident a while ago and I've been asking a few people I know if they know of any good auto body shops. Unfortunately, all my friends are drawing a blank. Basically one of my rear panels got a bit banged up and will either wind up being bent back to shape and painted or replaced and obviously painted. Anyone have any ideas?

auto body
                Where are you located?........would be alot easier recommending someone if everyone knew your location. Jim
                Welding in Crete
                Syncrowave 350 LX
                Millermatic 252
                Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
                Miller Gold Seal 155
                Miller Elite welding helmet
                JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
                Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
                Hypertherm Powermax 30
                Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

• H80N
                  • Nov 2003

Rottisserie/Dolly

Click image for larger version

Name:	rottis1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	512205Click image for larger version

Name:	rottis2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	512206
                  Originally posted by Vbigdog View Post
                  Hi,

Thanks,
                  Tom
                  Tom
                  here are a couple of pics I found of a body fixture that I thought incorporated a lot of desireable features... The guy that built this one, integrated a lot of featues and details into it that will make it a lot easier and safer for use in a one man shop....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                  X