X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FusionKing
    started a topic Shootout boat

Shootout boat

We have a big race here every year. people from all over the world come to be in it. It is done sorta like Bonneville to me, if you are familiar with that.
    I always seem to weld on a few one way or another.
    I just thought about it today and asked one of the techs if he would shoot a couple of pics with my camera for you guys.
    First one is my van I use and me welding. Second is a better shot of the boat.
    That building is full of this type of boats and there is another building the same way. They are 60x300. Lotsa $$

• ligito
    replied
    I went to Ft Wainwright (Fairbanks) in June '61.
    I made a couple of trips to some of the missile sites, while I was there.
    I escaped (got out of) the Army in '64.

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    The Ozarks look like a beautiful place .Mike

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    It gets down there at times to like zero or so but never for long. We definitley have all 4 seasons. That is one thing people go on about.
    I am sure there is sites that you can go on and check temp averages for the whole year. The zip is 65020 in my town.
    BTW, right now it has gotten so stupid...every Tom, **** and Harry is calling me to get me to get their boat ready so they can make it to the Shootout. Mainly pontoons with water in them.
    They have had all season to fix the hunk of junk.
    So many, I am only doing the ones I like. I got my helper doing some on his own also.
    After labor day with this economy I expect it all to die rather quickly.
    There will be some from winterizing, which has already started.

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    Whats the coldest temps you get there in the winter?Mike

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Yea we have tons of people moving here all the time.
    For what a normal home costs in many areas you can be living right on this huge lake with your own private dock.
    You would not believe some of the houses.

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    FK, beautiful boats, and thanks for the links, I'm gonna add that to my list of possible retirement locations! I've grown up in the Arizona desert and enjoyed many, many weekends on the Colorado River, but nothing like what you have there.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Just a pup man. Just a pup.

You can only imagine what you've got to look forward to.

Some days I roll out of bed and feel great.

Some days I wake up and ask myself, "Did you forget to pull that rip cord?"

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Well Sept 19th 1977 I went to FT Dix NJ.
    I feel better now just hearing all that.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Yeah, I was the same way. Hated anyone telling me what to do. Not so much
    with the telling as much as the way they told you. Their job was to break us and my job was to not let them. One DI had it in for me and every time he saw me I had to drop and give him 50. What pi$$ed him off is that I always could and look at him with a big grin. He used to pick me for every $hit detail and one day I told him after basic his a$$ was mine. The last two weeks he let up and just as well. I just would have got into a bunch of trouble. Went to Ft Bliss for AIT in El Paso and was supposed to go to Korea and then they changed a bunch of us and sent us to Fairbanks Alaska on a Nike Hercules
    missile site for 18 months. I don't think I've ever been around more idiots at one time as when I was in the Army. But the Army probably kept me out of jail. Actually, there was some good times. My best friend I met at Leonard
    Wood in 1967. he' still alive and well.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    LMAO,

Good thing we were engineers. Learned early on how much faster a cratering charge is than a D-handle shovel.

Heck Monty,

Didn't realize that you were that old. Like me, guess you're a member of the "over the hill gang". That's OK though. Always been told you pick up speed on the downhill side.

Those were some good times though. I was an impatient kid, full of pi$$ and vinegar. Was such a troublemaker they'd sorta pushed me thru school. Went to VA TECH at 16 to be an engineer. Stayed up there one summer and finished in Civil Engineering at 19. Volunteered for the draft in May of '67. Figured I'd do my two years and get on with my life. Didn't quite work out that way though. Twenty-two years and 46 foreign countries later, I retired as a Colonel in the Corps of Engineers. Spent a good deal of my time in "special ops" but never forgot the engineer roots and kept up my qualifications in both areas.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Diggin' a foxhole in FLW soil.....!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    hey SundownIII . I took basic at Ft Leonard Wood. Started April 10, 1967. What a wonderful rocky place

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Yea FK,

I'm familar with your "lake".

I went thru engineer AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at Ft. Leonard Wood back in the summer of 1967.

Just a wild azz kid, right out of college, knowing we were all headed for Viet Nam and living life to the fullest. Just took me a little longer to get there than I originally expected. I remember some "really" hot days and cold nights. More of a temperature swing than I was used to growing up along the coast.

Had two major vices as a kid. If it moved, I raced it. If it backtalked, I smacked it. Army did tend to calm me down a bit. Even paid me a little extra for some of the fun stuff (airborne, dive qualified, HALO qualified, etc)

Funny the hand life deals you. Going back to that 9 Hr. Marathon in Miami, that was the race where I got an offer from Carl Kiekaever (SP), President of Mercury Motors to drive for him at Lake X (Mercury's test facility in FL). Turned him down, knowing I'd be finishing college that spring and would be looking at a stint in the military. Six months later he hired Reggie Fountain to fill the position and the rest is history. I still joke with Reggie, telling him if I'd taken the job, he'd still be an unknown. Probably a good move though on my part. Jumping from C141's at 35,000 ft was probably safer than some of the boats we were running back in the 60's. Engine technology had definitely outpaced hull design in those days.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    WOW! thats some story.
    yea it's a flying mile, but this year there will be some side by side as well.
    There has been some 200 mph runs here when everything is just right.
    This boat if you notice has a capsule.
    We have the offshore boys come here and run their event as well about a month later too.
    It is actually unbelievable just how many offshore boats that there is here on this lake. It is in the thousands.
    www.lakeoftheozarksshootout.org

www.funlake.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X