New guy here. Some intercooler and piping work on my acura - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

New guy here. Some intercooler and piping work on my acura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoxPerformance
    • Feb 2006

Looks good, one thing though, on future projects you may not want to make the end tanks so big. you don't want to cause any more of a pressure drop in the intake tract than you have to, especially on a turbo car.
    Ben Fox
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
    Millermatic 130
    MillerMatic 252
    Jet Lathe
    Jet Mill
    Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FoxPerformance View Post
      Looks good, one thing though, on future projects you may not want to make the end tanks so big. you don't want to cause any more of a pressure drop in the intake tract than you have to, especially on a turbo car.

Yea next time i am going to make them a hair different for air flow reasons. However These really arent much bigger than anything else with that same size core.

Maybe next winter i will redo the endtanks though. They actually need to be angled back alittle so i can clear my bumper lights.

Comment

• turboglenn
        • Sep 2008

I dont' think the end tanks are TOO bad (they are a little big by maybe 2 inches or so), but what i would have done is thrown some sort of light defelctor "V" in there with a gap in the middle to more effectively use all of the intercooler's available cooling surface. I don't know if you've seen many of the tests, but when they showed the flaws in ALL the designs , the tanks like that tended to flow mostly right through the center bars/cores and the upper and lower bars/cores didn't get taken full advantage of.

The stuff i read makes me want to cut the tanks off every intercooler around me and remocel them for better efficiencey, but that would just be silly hahaha
        Dynasty 200DX
        Hobart Handler 135
        Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
        Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
        Hypertherm Powermax 45
        Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by turboglenn View Post
          I dont' think the end tanks are TOO bad (they are a little big by maybe 2 inches or so), but what i would have done is thrown some sort of light defelctor "V" in there with a gap in the middle to more effectively use all of the intercooler's available cooling surface. I don't know if you've seen many of the tests, but when they showed the flaws in ALL the designs , the tanks like that tended to flow mostly right through the center bars/cores and the upper and lower bars/cores didn't get taken full advantage of.

The stuff i read makes me want to cut the tanks off every intercooler around me and remocel them for better efficiencey, but that would just be silly hahaha

yea. i had a few other designs made mocked up. i just didnt like the look. I am more than likely going to redo this one next winter as the endtanks for one need to be somewhat angled back for clearance issues. It will work out for this year but will give me something to do over the winter. Car will be on the dyno next week hopefully.

Comment

• fsuz32
            • Apr 2009

nice looking setup, what turbo are you running? looks pretty decent Did you make your own turbo mani/dp with the sync 200? I am looking at picking one up, the things I want to use it for are motor mounts/suspension mounts, turbo manifolds, exhausts, al intake manifolds, piping etc. Would there be any problems welding any of that with the sync 200?

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by fsuz32 View Post
              nice looking setup, what turbo are you running? looks pretty decent Did you make your own turbo mani/dp with the sync 200? I am looking at picking one up, the things I want to use it for are motor mounts/suspension mounts, turbo manifolds, exhausts, al intake manifolds, piping etc. Would there be any problems welding any of that with the sync 200?
              Its a 71mm garrett 42r. No i did not make the manifold. It was from Full-Race.com They are the only robotically welded manifold out there.

The syncrowave 200 didnt have any problems welding anthing except i blow my breaker alot when i am welding aluminum. I think my whole panel is only a 200 amp panel. i donno. it only blows when i am welding aluminum above 150 amps.

Comment

• fsuz32
                • Apr 2009

what size breaker are you tripping?

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by fsuz32 View Post
                  what size breaker are you tripping?

its a dual 50.

Comment

• turboglenn
                    • Sep 2008

have you hit the dyno yet? Just wondering about it since you mentioned it and i'm curious.

recently i did 431/396 with out the nitrouse...hoping to go back and break 500 with the spray, but i'm just now getting back on track with my bills from a slow february/march
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Hobart Handler 135
                    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
                    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
                    Hypertherm Powermax 45
                    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
                      • Mar 2008

have you hit the dyno yet? Just wondering about it since you mentioned it and i'm curious.

recently i did 431/396 with out the nitrouse...hoping to go back and break 500 with the spray, but i'm just now getting back on track with my bills from a slow february/march

Yes sorry its been a very busy week. I have fought issues with the car that were totally unexpected. I got the car on the dyno after the initial break in heat cycles and first oil change.

All the sudden we had ignition issues and lots of break up. Long story short i will never run another MSD product again. After 7 hours of figuring out the cause and rewiring and pullin out my M&W ignition and going back to stock it was an MSD hvac2 coil that took a dump.

So then next problem. The car would hit a brick wall at about 7k rpm. After about another 7 or so hours of diagnosing why vtec wasnt working we figure out that the machine shop didnt put two pins back into the head and vtec wouldnt engage because the sliders were pretty much floating.

Anyways we got it all back together today and strapped it down and i dont have a boost controller. On wastegate pressure 22psi it made 548whp and i cant remember the exact torque but i wanna say it was alittle over 350. Timing is very conservative beings at this power level we are going to get kicked out for not having the license to go over 135mph so wasnt any point to squeeze more power. We are about 5-6 degrees below where we should be on the timing but i felt i wanted to play it safe the first time out.

all i know is the turbo is calling us pussies and telling us to turn her up haha.

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
                        • Mar 2008

what are you running?

Comment

• On fire most of the time
                          • Mar 2009

**** nice numbers.

Definitely something I would respect if I saw it on the street, or strip. Id still race you though (even though Id probably lose...in all of my cars.)
                          Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

• Mr Bigs
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TurboIntegra42r View Post
                            its a dual 50.
                            You really need a 2-pole 60 amp breaker but you should run #10 wire to the receptacle.

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
                              **** nice numbers.

Definitely something I would respect if I saw it on the street, or strip. Id still race you though (even though Id probably lose...in all of my cars.)
                              Thanks. The power is low boost. I am still learning to drive the car first then we will turn it up as long as the track is prepped decent.

However i went to the track yesterday with this power level and went 10.48 @138

Comment

• TurboIntegra42r
                                • Mar 2008

here you guys go. i am the silver integra

First time this car has ever gone to the track and it was on low boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X