X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KFCHambone
    started a topic Picket Twister

Picket Twister

Im trying to make a picket twister. I'm basically set on my idea of a gear reducer and a electric motor. My question is, does anyone know what kinda of torque it would take to twist .5 square stock? I'd be twisting lengths of 6 feet. I seen one on ebay for about 100 bucks and in has an output torque of 700 foot lbs. Any torque specs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregory

• Bert
    replied
    Too cool guys!!!!!! I'll send out a pic of one of the crosses I made tomorrow night. Used oxy/acet the old school way. Can't use it to make bigger things, 'cause I'd burn up too much gas, and would be WAY cost ineffective!

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrhenry View Post
    is it possible to twist 6 inche sin the middle of a34 inch picket with it?
    Yes. Just slide 14" thru the handle and set the tail holder 14" from the other end. Twist right or left as many times as you need. You can even do multiple twists on the same picket as long as you can slide one end thru the handle and have room between the twists for the tail holder. It takes about 2".

Leave a comment:

• storts
    replied
    Great Minds think Alike

Originally posted by GARAGEGADGETS View Post
    I made one using a old pipe threading machine. It is set on a bench I made with a adjustable tail stock,so I can make different lenght pickets. It will twist 1/2 to 3/4 solid square stock like butter. It takes less than 30 seconds to twist a 40" picket. Turn it on and count rotations.
    Same exact thing,,A guy was throwing ot a OLD ,Think its a westinghouse. Never even groans,Put your soapstone mark,dependin how tight the customers want them,But you know that!!So i have a new plug on the end invested!! Thanks,Jack

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
    Grrrrr.... lol. Don't worry about. It's not even suppertime there yet.

The bar stays pretty straight. Sometimes I tweak it a little when done. It will tend to bend a tad where the twist starts but I just eyeball it and bend it a little in the vise. No big deal. I've got a Shop Outfitters attachment for my 20/20 bender and it seems to keep the bar straighter and I think it's due to the fact that once I start twisting I don't stop until it's done. The downside to the Shop Outfitters bender is that you can't twist a bar in more than one place. If you will notice, my twister allows you to just drop the piece in the tail holder. This lets you twist part of the bar one way, then move it and twist another part differently if you want to. One of these days I'll upgrade the tail holder a little where it looks better.
    Thanks Jim

Leave a comment:

• ctrhenry
    replied
    is it possible to twist 6 inche sin the middle of a34 inch picket with it?

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!! WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!
    bert
    Grrrrr.... lol. Don't worry about. It's not even suppertime there yet.

The bar stays pretty straight. Sometimes I tweak it a little when done. It will tend to bend a tad where the twist starts but I just eyeball it and bend it a little in the vise. No big deal. I've got a Shop Outfitters attachment for my 20/20 bender and it seems to keep the bar straighter and I think it's due to the fact that once I start twisting I don't stop until it's done. The downside to the Shop Outfitters bender is that you can't twist a bar in more than one place. If you will notice, my twister allows you to just drop the piece in the tail holder. This lets you twist part of the bar one way, then move it and twist another part differently if you want to. One of these days I'll upgrade the tail holder a little where it looks better.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Awww gee....is that all???!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!! WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!
    Looks VERY good, and thanks for letting us look at it!!! Did you feel the stress??? lol............If your bench is messy, I guess I won't show you mine!
    Does it stay straight as you're twisting it????
    thanks again!!!!!
    bert

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    Finally......... the pics!

Here are the pics of my crude twister. I did this in a hurry and never really took the time to make it a little nicer. It works though.

Pic 1: The head showing 1/2" drive socket and handle twisting 1/2" bar. The bar can be pushed thru the socket and handle to allow the twist to begin anywhere on the bar.

Pic 2: A shot of the tail end. It reverses for 1/2" and 3/8" and slides to set the length of twist.

Pic 3: Overall shot of the twister and my messy bench.

Pic 4: 3/8" bar being twisted. I use the clamp to keep the tail holder from sliding down the 1" square.

For 3/8", I use the twister pretty much like pictured. On 1/2" I sometimes clamp the tool in the vise so that the handles are on top and in a horizontal position. It makes it easer to turn.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ctrhenry
    replied
    wheres the pictures already ?

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    but you have already had 2..................ok i guesss we can wait one more.
    THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!! GEE, YOU HAD ALL WEEKEND!!!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    but you have already had 2..................ok i guesss we can wait one more.

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    Ok ok!! Gimmie a day to get them.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    JimTX.....

AW...C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!! : DUH!!!!!!!!!!

PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!
    PICS!

Leave a comment:

• Jim-TX
    replied
    I have a very simple picket twister that does 1/2" and 3/8" square bar. No pics, but let me try to explain it. I took a length of 1" .120 square tubing and welded a piece of 1" pipe to the side near the "top" end. I went to the pawn shop and found old sockets are will just fit inside the pipe. One is a 3/8" and the other is a 1/2" drive. On those I welded "T" handles. My 3/8" is about 24" long and the handle for the 1/2" is about 40" long. Now, on the other end I just made a receiver that the square stock will drop into. One side is for 1/2" and the other holds 3/8". The receiver slides on the 1" tubing. I can twist up to about 4 ft stuff, but a longer piece of 1" tubing would extend that if I needed it. I put an ear on the side of the 1" tubing so that I can secure this thing in my vise. It's very simple to use and I've twisted a lot of square bar with it. I'll get pics if anybody is that interested.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X