Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sberry
    • Sep 2005

There is a lot of wire used in structural Ironwork, more all the time. http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=554182 all innershield, backgouge and weld back in for full pen. That was in the early 80's.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Jim-TX
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BudMan580 View Post
      Stick ain't dyin too fast in the construction industry, don't think it ever will.
      Welcome BudMan. You are right on with that statement. Stick will always have a place.
      Jim

Comment

• Vicegrip
        • Jan 2008

The rep might be seeing more MIG and TIG machines go out the door as Stick machines have a very long service life and the methods have not changed all that much.
        Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

• BudMan580
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
          There is a lot of wire used in structural Ironwork, more all the time. http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=554182 all innershield, backgouge and weld back in for full pen. That was in the early 80's.
          Sberry, what did you use the gun on, the spaceframe? Are we talking shop or field? Not saying it can't be or shouldn't be done (I know there've been plenty of times I wish my guys were using MIG), just haven't seen it myself in 20 years in the field.
          Bud
          By the way, can you remember who did the curtain wall on that job?

Comment

• Sberry
            • Sep 2005

This has been a while but seems like a K126 ? LN25's? Held a 13# spool I think. I was on the frame mainly. The pieces were simple fab, ends came beveled and from engineering that obviously never sat on a beam to weld one. They were in reverse. We erected it in 4 pieces on the ground, blocked it all up, set the camber, there were simple temp connection bolts then all tacked up with 6011. Weld a section all together, all ground flush and UT, then 4 big air tuggers hoist it up, weld the bearings on the building, send the rigging down and pull another section up. The ends were 140 T and the centers 160. When the second section come up we pull it all together and weld the splices and the bearings, repeat. I worked for American Bridge mostly in the air after we fab the first piece, hung on floats to do it all. All wire, seems 203. They had a good part of semi trailer full.
            I cant remember who did the wall, seems it was some kind of relatively local contractor. I was sitting on the thing and a granite panel come down, boom, I didn't even look, I knew what happen, a panel come off the 40+ floor and hit it. It was an adventure all its own, Bridge has some real manly tools.
            I had quite a few pics but they were lost in a fire, I even looked for the negs but so far come up empty. They were just ready to start the people mover project right after, I drug up near the end, had something else to go to. Never did go back.

Comment

• Sberry
              • Sep 2005

I didn't mind working for Bridge, they were a real gettin outfit and you had to keep your head up as there was always something going on but I got on well with them. The AWS, guy named Dave Black was down there on occasion as this was in their backyard, kind of new to South Florida so they had some interest in the welding. They took some of the pics from some of my joints, we had been doing it month on end and were just tuned and fluent, very loose and comfy and they were shooting un real clarity. Work was pitiful in Pittsburgh at the time I guess, actually all over and Bridge had a bunch of cronies down on the job. The avg welder there was well,,, suspect at best and when it got to the ******** it followed a schedule so they cherry pick the gang to go up top.

Comment

• BudMan580
                • Jul 2008

Yeah, I've been doing mainly curtain wall for the last 10 years or so. Haven't had much dealings with AB, if any. I tend to stay in the NY metro area, usually enough work to go around. Worked the Architectural end (bronze, ss, alum.- canopies, railings, revolving doors, etc.) before getting into this end, also worked a little miscellaneous iron. Not much on the structural end, though. Fortunate enough to have a few "landmark" jobs in the resume- Museum of Modern Art, Hearst Building, working at the new Yankee Stadium now (back to architectural work).
                Know what you mean about the engineers! Don't you just love it when they tell you how to do something?! It's like,"I don't tell you how to press the buttons on your calculator, and we can debate this all day, or you can shut the **** up and let me get this piece up!"
                Last edited by BudMan580; 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• ultim8wldr
                  • Sep 2006

plate welding

dual shield (er71 with 75/25 gas) works real well for multiple pass stringers however out in the field 70xx rod is still the sinceble choice for me.. core shield 8 from Esab is nice but it doenst like primed steel such as bar joists and trusses.
                  trailblazer 280 nt with 3000 hrs and running strong
                  today I bought a new trailblazer 302
                  and a new s-32p

dynasty 200 dx
                  maxstar 140
                  passport
                  XR pushpull
                  spectum 500
                  cutmaster 50

Comment

• griff01
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                    Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
                    They just want to sell you a new (mig) machine.

Griff

Comment

• MIKEDOGG
                      • Mar 2008

I agree with Griff. If the sales rep is stating that arc welding is on its way out, he is either a retard or a jackass for trying to sell someone on a certain type of machine. If stick welding is out, the underwater welders are screwed. As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a waterproof Ln25; I could be wrong. Sales reps are exactly that, sales representatives; their job is to make sales. We run both smaw and fcaw processes in the field. Both have their advantages.
                      5 welding Rigs
                      14 various shop weld machines
                      150x80 shop full of metal working tools

Comment

• ridesideways
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                        I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
                        that's pretty funny. your sales rep is a retard.
                        miller dynasty 350
                        miller spectrum 1000

Comment

• kiwi
                          • Aug 2007

Hey Guys,
                          I was reading an article on this website which compared stick to flux core MIG (I believe it was on pipe). The point of the article was that MIG was more economical than stick (no wasted electrodes which they claimed added up to huge savings). In addition,the time saved was considerable when comparing flux core MIG to stick. Could this be what the salesman was refering to?
                          Nick

Comment

• MIKEDOGG
                            • Mar 2008

Good point. I think most people here understand that wire is a faster, more efficient process, but to go as far as to say stick welding is almost no more; thats just incorrect. There will always be a need for down and dirty stick welds whether its repairing derricks on an oil platform or welding corrals in Texas. I could be wrong about the majority but most welders I know stick to what works. Not to say there is no room for ln25's and other suitcase welders; believe me we run them hard on structural and marine jobs.
                            5 welding Rigs
                            14 various shop weld machines
                            150x80 shop full of metal working tools

Comment

• Sberry
                              • Sep 2005

I have 3 portables, none have a feeder hooked to them, just sold a machine, guy didn't buy it to run wire, bought it expressly for stick.

Comment

• Steve
                                • Jan 2007

Could look at it from the Sales Rep point of view. He sells machines and can't remember the last time he sold a stick machine. Lately all have been MIG. So to him it may appear that stick is on the way out. And says that off hand based purely on his sales experience. I like my LWS rep. He has been in the business 27 years. Going to retire next year. OH GOD Jerry, you can't let me break in another one!

Comment

Working...
                                X